VMware Cloud Community
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade to Windows 10 RS5 breaks vCenter from using Guest OS Customization

Hello,

So I've been using vRA 7.3.1 to deliver Windows 10 x64 jump boxes to users.  I was upgrading the image and it forced me to RS5.  I didn't see any issues during the setup, however when I tried to create a new image it fails.  It appears to clone the machine, but when it goes to use the Guest OS customization in vCenter it never does it.  Never joins the domain or renames the guest OS.  I tried this also in vCenter directly and it didn't work either.  So I tried to create a new image starting with RS5 as the base image.  I just installed the OS and VM tools and that was it.  What I wind up seeing in vCenter is the machine cloning, then it shows the customization is started, then the machine power on.  If I wait about 30 minutes it seems then it actually does join the machine to the domain.  However when I was using vRA and even RS4 this process was maybe 15 min tops, even with the customization after the domain join, so something is wrong here.  I'm using vCenter 6.5 and I just patched it to update 2uf to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't.  I'm not sure if I'm missing something else, if I need to go to vCenter 6.7 or what, but this is blocking me from handing off this project to someone else.  Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I seem to have gotten it fixed.

I had noticed an error in the sysprep logs and when googling it I had to run a command to fix it (But only on a new image, this didn't help on the upgraded image)

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

I had already run that on the upgraded image when I initially created it so I didn't think I'd need to run it again.  I did try running it again anyway after being upgraded to RS5, but that didn't make any difference.  That seems to allow sysprep to work its magic and allow me to create the machines I need.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only thing I can suggest is this:  Don't install these major, breaking Windows 10 updates. They have been notorious for breaking all sorts of integrations, this just being one of them. Microsoft have been making significant changes in each platform release to the point where they're almost dot releases. These then have to get qualified against the various VMware products. Make it a policy to stay on the stable releases and don't jump to the new platform releases. You'll save yourself time and grief.

0 Kudos
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah I had been avoiding it for as long as I could, but it just forced the update upon the template.  Part of the use of the jump box is also testing our products, so it's helpful to have the latest on there as well so we can basically eat our own dog food.

0 Kudos
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I seem to have gotten it fixed.

I had noticed an error in the sysprep logs and when googling it I had to run a command to fix it (But only on a new image, this didn't help on the upgraded image)

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage

I had already run that on the upgraded image when I initially created it so I didn't think I'd need to run it again.  I did try running it again anyway after being upgraded to RS5, but that didn't make any difference.  That seems to allow sysprep to work its magic and allow me to create the machines I need.

0 Kudos