VMware Cloud Community
davidef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from vcsa 6.0 to 6.7

Dear Experts,

I'm upgrading my vcsa appliance from version 6.0 to 6.7 using the Upgrade function that is built-in the vcsa-ui-installer.

I'm getting the following error message at the 2nd stage of the upgrade process:

pastedImage_0.png

I noticed that VMWare Tools status on the vcsa 6.0 was Running (Guest Managed) and greyed-out so I did a re-install of VMWare Tools. After that, it now shows as Running (Current) and green, however the above error still persists.

Google seems to be not very useful... any ideas of what is causing this cumbersome problem?

---

EDIT: jus found the following error message in bootstrap.log

2018-09-04T09:28:53.678Z ERROR transport.guestops GuestOpsOperationManager is not initialized. Missing guest.guestFamily property

2018-09-04T09:28:53.678Z ERROR upgrade_commands Vmware Tools driver is not initialized on source vCSA (192.168.xx.xx), Error: GuestOpsOperationManager is not initialized. Missing guest.guestFamily property

2018-09-04T09:28:53.679Z ERROR root Could not create command factory.

2018-09-04T09:28:53.679Z ERROR __main__ ERROR: Fatal error during upgrade REQUIREMENTS. For more details take a look at: /var/log/vmware/upgrade/requirements-upgrade-runner.log

2018-09-04T09:28:53.680Z INFO root Exiting with exit-code 1

Message was edited by: Davide FIlograna

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davidef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, after two days of troubleshooting I've identified the source problem: vcsa root password was expired.

This was causing a lot of cryptic and unuseful error messages that driven me on the bad direction.

After resetting vcsa root password everything went good.

Thanks anyway for your support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vijay2027
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is the tools version that is currently installed?

Run the below commands and share o/p:

vpxd -v; vmware-toolbox-cmd -v and rpm -qa | wc -l

Also, try patching vCSA to 6.0 latest build from VAMI this way we can find out if there are any issues with installed tools or rpm's.

0 Kudos
davidef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for looking into this issue.

vcsa:~ # vpxd -v; vmware-toolbox-cmd -v; rpm -qa | wc -l

VMware VirtualCenter 6.0.0 build-3634794

10.0.6.54238 (build-3560309)

I'll try to patch vcsa and let you know the results.

0 Kudos
davidef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, after two days of troubleshooting I've identified the source problem: vcsa root password was expired.

This was causing a lot of cryptic and unuseful error messages that driven me on the bad direction.

After resetting vcsa root password everything went good.

Thanks anyway for your support.

0 Kudos