VMware Cloud Community
Savir4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Upgrade from vCenter 5.0 U1 to 5.5 and vCenter Single Sign-On

Hello,

we have two vCenter  5.01 U1 that are connected by Linked Mode in our environment. We want to upgrade to vCenter 5.5 now using the Mulitsite Single Sign On Type. One vCenter Server is in the Active Directory domain Europe the second one is the domain NALA. These two domain belong to one root domain. Can we use the Mulitsite Single Sign On Type in this scenario?

Kind regards,

Savir

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes that's why i mentioned site.. so while installing 5.5 you will create 2 sites.

"Each site is represented by one vCenter Single Sign-On instance, with one vCenter Single Sign-On server, or a high-availability cluster. "

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If i read that correctly Europe and NALA are child domains of the main root domain.

So you would install SSO on these two sites and put the VCs in linked mode.

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos
Savir4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the feedback.

yes, Europe and NALA are child domains of one root domain. The vCenter documentation mentions as a limitation for Mulitple Single Sign-On instances in different locations the following:

"Secondary vCenter Single Sign-On instances must belong to the same

Active Directory or OpenLDAP domain as the primary vCenter Single

Sign-On server and must have a local domain controller available."

I'm still not clear if we fulfill this requirement when one vCenter Server is in the Europe and another vCenter Server is in the NALA Active Directory domain.

The Europe vCenter server will be installed a the Primary vCenter Single Sign-On server.

Regards

Savir

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes that's why i mentioned site.. so while installing 5.5 you will create 2 sites.

"Each site is represented by one vCenter Single Sign-On instance, with one vCenter Single Sign-On server, or a high-availability cluster. "

Regards

Girish

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Savir,

You should be able to setup the multi-site with multi-vc in this scenario i.e., when the primary node and the secondary node are joined to different domains in the same forest, Only thing you would have to careful about is not to use the domain local groups when assigning permissions in vcenter server and sso as this would result in an inconsistent behavior when accessing vc's with NGC depending on which NGC you are connecting to.

Thanks

Srinu

0 Kudos
Savir4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ho Srinu,

please explain what you mean by NGC.

Regards

Savir

0 Kudos