Today I've tried to upgrade one of our vcenter servers to the the latest version being update 1. This vcenter server has version 5.5 installed and certificates have been replaced with certificates from out internal CA.
I've updated every component seperately, but I have now following problems:
1) I can't login anymore with the Viclient. I get following error:
2) I can login into the webclient, but I find a yellow bar at the top saying: Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems: https://the.vcenter.name:443/sdk
3) In the webclient: In the recent tasks I get following error: Unable to create the managed object for - urn:vmomi:TaskManager:TaskManager:C54DCD9D-4810-4F06-B3FF-88252259ED5E. This error is also found under VM Hardware.
4) In the webclient: I can't take over any VM's
What has gone wrong with this upgrade?
In the upgrade guide vmware is also speaking of service packs to upgrade, but I can't find them anywhere on the site. Does someone know if they even exist?
It still fails. After every component update I've rebooted the server and tried to log in to the webclient. It keeps working until I update the vcenter. Then it doesn't work any more.
I'd sure like to know if you figured this out because I have the exact same situation! I've rolled back twice and reinstalled with the same results... searching the web and knowledge base and not finding anything.
I've made a support case with vmware and last week they identified it as a problem with the installed ADAM instance.
I've upgraded using the following procedure:
- Upgrade Single Sign-on, Webclient and inventory service as normal.
- Uninstall the vcenter software (all certificates and databases stay in place)
- Remove the ADAM feature from windows.
- Reinstall the vcenter software (ADAM will be reinstalled automatically)
This solved the problem for me. I hope it will do so for you.
I had to do the upgrade and after the installation went haywire, I had to take vcenter logs and send them to vmware. There they analyzed it with a senior system engineer and determined that it was the ADAM-instance that had a problem.
I don't know how you can check if your ADAM is corrupt or broken.
I am happy to report that this resolved my issue as well.
Ran the upgrade against everything in order except vCenter server.
Uninstalled vCenter server, which uninstalled the ADAM instance. Rebooted, reinstalled. Everything is working.
Thanks for your responses!
Ran into this same problem going from VC 5.1 Update 1 to VC 5.5 Update 2e. We have a multi-site environment with SRM and dvSwitches. The vCenter at the recovery site was the only one impacted. We were able to uninstall/reinstall without impacting the dvSwitches and were able to then successfully upgrade the remaining components.