VMware Cloud Community
DieterA
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrade Vcenter 5.5 to Vcenter 5.5 Update 1 fails

Today I've tried to upgrade one of our vcenter servers to the the latest version being update 1. This vcenter server has version 5.5 installed and certificates have been replaced with certificates from out internal CA.

I've updated every component seperately, but I have now following problems:

1) I can't login anymore with the Viclient. I get following error:

Error_Connecting_2014_03_28_13_33_56.jpg

2) I can login into the webclient, but I find a yellow bar at the top saying: Could not connect to one or more vCenter Server systems: https://the.vcenter.name:443/sdk

3) In the webclient: In the recent tasks I get following error: Unable to create the managed object for - urn:vmomi:TaskManager:TaskManager:C54DCD9D-4810-4F06-B3FF-88252259ED5E. This error is also found under VM Hardware.

4) In the webclient: I can't take over any VM's

What has gone wrong with this upgrade?

In the upgrade guide vmware is also speaking of service packs to upgrade, but I can't find them anywhere on the site. Does someone know if they even exist?

11 Replies
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The Web client URL should specify https;//the.vcenter.FQDN:9443/vsphere-client

0 Kudos
PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We use certs from our internal PKI without issue so I'm very curious to see what has gone wrong..

Did you take a snapshot of your vCenter VM prior to carrying out the work?

0 Kudos
DieterA
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I did. I've rollbacked to the snapshot. In a few days I am trying the update again.

PaulUK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How did it go?

0 Kudos
DieterA
Contributor
Contributor

It still fails. After every component update I've rebooted the server and tried to log in to the webclient. It keeps working until I update the vcenter. Then it doesn't work any more.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd sure like to know if you figured this out because I have the exact same situation! I've rolled back twice and reinstalled with the same results... searching the web and knowledge base and not finding anything.

0 Kudos
DieterA
Contributor
Contributor

I've made a support case with vmware and last week they identified it as a problem with the installed ADAM instance.

I've upgraded using the following procedure:

- Upgrade Single Sign-on, Webclient and inventory service as normal.

- Uninstall the vcenter software (all certificates and databases stay in place)

- Remove the ADAM feature from windows.

- Reinstall the vcenter software (ADAM will be reinstalled automatically)

This solved the problem for me. I hope it will do so for you.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting, I will give that a try. Out of curiosity, how did they determine the ADAM instance was faulty? Is there anything I can run to verify this is the issue?

0 Kudos
DieterA
Contributor
Contributor

I had to do the upgrade and after the installation went haywire, I had to take vcenter logs and send them to vmware. There they analyzed it with a senior system engineer and determined that it was the ADAM-instance that had a problem.

I don't know how you can check if your ADAM is corrupt or broken.

0 Kudos
Chris_Nodak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am happy to report that this resolved my issue as well.

Ran the upgrade against everything in order except vCenter server.

Uninstalled vCenter server, which uninstalled the ADAM instance. Rebooted, reinstalled. Everything is working.

Thanks for your responses!

0 Kudos
jpmoock
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into this same problem going from VC 5.1 Update 1 to VC 5.5 Update 2e.  We have a multi-site environment with SRM and dvSwitches.  The vCenter at the recovery site was the only one impacted.  We were able to uninstall/reinstall without impacting the dvSwitches and were able to then successfully upgrade the remaining components.

0 Kudos