VMware Cloud Community
brunoscota
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Upgrade VCenter Appliance from 5.1 to 5.5

Guys, i got one question,

I'm doing here vcenter appliance upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5 in my test environment. And i'm following the KB

Upgrading vCenter Server Appliance 5.0.x/5.1 to 5.5 (2058441)

But i have one question...

When it starts, the new VCenter shutdowns the old vcenter, that's OK.

But when the new vcenter tries to start up, he also tries to import SSL key from the old vcenter, but it fails because the old is turned off.

So, is it normal?  because, when the new vcenter started, the service is not working anymore, i can't login the new appliance.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The new appliance shuts down the old appliance and assumes the network identity of the old appliance. If the old appliance was configured to use dynamic addressing, the new appliance also uses dynamic addressing. When the import completes, the new vCenter Server Appliance starts.

It says when the import completes the new one starts. So the old one won't shutdown until it passes on ALL the info to the new one. Can you paste a screenshot of the error you get when you try to login?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
brunoscota
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your reply.

here is the SS.

Capturar.JPG

0 Kudos
brunoscota
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Guys, now i can do login the system.

i logged on vcenter configuration page (port: 5480) and i changed the password to SSO Administration, the server removed all my SSO configuration but now i can logon. Now i'm reconfiguring the SSO. =/

I don't know why it fails.

During the upgrade he asks me to put a password to SSO, and i set a new password. is it what i did wrong?

0 Kudos