VMware Cloud Community
JBartholomew
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Updating Hosts through vCenter and Auto-Deploy

Does anyone know if there are any Plans for VMWare to support VDS with VCLM in the future?

We have for the past few years been running our HPE Synergy blades using ImageStreamer and a PowerCLI Script to deploy new blades, and it has worked quite well, but with HPE ending support for ImageStreamer we have been forced to look at alternative solutions for deploying and updating our hosts.

I have a setup running with Auto-Deploy and Host Profiles and that is working great, but the issue then comes in when we need to update these blades. With VUM being deprecated we would like to stay away from using it for updates. So this points us in the direction of VLCM. I have a cluster that I have set up with a reference image with all of the required drivers,etc. and Auto-deploy of that image works perfectly other than I am unable to remediate the hosts once they are added to the cluster. I have the settings added to the JSON, but the issue is when it adds the host the cluster it cannot create the VMK's or join the VDS'. From what I have seen it is a known issue, and to move back to standard switches to get this to work is a very backwards move.

So at this point the only things I can come up with are deploy with Host Profile to configure the VMKs, etc and then detach the Host profile and place into a Cluster with Image Management, or deploy the host with VLCM and then use the PowerCLI script to configure the VMKs, etc.

Both of these seem really janky and half-baked.

what other options do I have for configuring new hosts/ also updating them in the future?

0 Replies