VMware Cloud Community
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Updated home lab to vCSA 7.0u2, now cannot log in with root on port 5480

I recently updated my home lab vCSA to 7.0u2. At that time I was able to log into the appliance with the root credentials without issue. Today, I wanted to check on the setup and had to reboot the appliance since I could not get to it in management (web page couldn't load). Post reboot of the appliance (via RVRC on the host running it) I cannot log in with the 'root' account. I've changed the password via the VMRC but that still fails. 

Does anyone have the fix for this? 

I did just log into the vCSA via putty and get this:

golddiggie_0-1617207379450.png

I did have an issue with the applmgmt service during the update process. Am I boned at this point with this install? Since I don't have any distributed switches, I could deploy a fresh instance of the vCSA if that's the best way to fix it. Just sucks donkey balls since it WAS working earlier. But, since it IS a home lab setup, it's not like I have critical items running on it at present. I'm more interested in making sure the one critical VM remains running (on one of my hosts).

-update- I used the putty session to restart the applmgmt service and I can now log in through port 5480. Is this a 'known bug' with 7u2?? Is it fixed with another patch/update? I'm going to see if there are any updates available for the appliance. If there are, I'll probably apply them.
Nope, no more updates above what I'm running. 😞

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That has been an issue for quite some time, but still not fixed. Some kind of startup dependency would probably help.
What you can do for now is to increase the "StartTimeout" for the applmgmt service.

André

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

applmgmt service is dependent on  stats-monitor service and I believe stats-monitor might not start after reboot due to time-out which is why applmgmt goes down . That's why you cannot access 5480.

Follow this and increase timeout for stats-monitor to 600 seconds. (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/55640)

What is the size of this file (/var/vmware/applmgmt/appliance_stats.sqlite) ?

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

golddiggie_0-1617288966387.png

I'll check out the article when I have some time...

0 Kudos