VMware Cloud Community
Tuteks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update eSXi that host Vcenter

Hello,

I would like to update esxi host from 7.0 to 7.0U3 but I have only one vsphere host and on this host is also running Vcenter, is any way to upgrade this Esxi host from this Vcenter because remedtation pre-check give me this error?:

"VMware vCenter Server is installed on the virtual machine and DRS is disabled on the cluster."

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

yes you can do that.

1. Download the update from VMware https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/patch

2. Upload the Patch to your datastore

3. shutdown all vm´s running on that host

4. ssh to your host

5. Update your host with esxcli software vib install -d [PATH_TO_THE_VIB_ZIP]

6. Reboot your host

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

if you have iLO or iDRAC you can mount ISO and upgrade it via Video Redirection too. 

0 Kudos
Tuteks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I successfully updated esxi host and rebooted, the power on Vcenter server that is placed on that esxi, then exit from maintenance mode by typing on esxi console:

vim-cmd /hostsvc/maintenance_mode_exit
[root@serv:~] vim-cmd /hostsvc/hostsummary | grep inMaintenanceMode
inMaintenanceMode = false,

But on eSXI I have status:

Version:
7.0 Update 3

State:
Normal (not connected to any vCenter Server)

How to connect to Vcenter again?

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

could it be that your vCenter Server has an older Version?

Normaly you update your vCenter Server first, and afterwards your esxi hosts.

If so, please update your vCenter Server. Otherwise, what Version are you running on.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

State:
Normal (not connected to any vCenter Server) --> Did you already power on the vCenter Server VM?

How to connect to Vcenter again? --> If the host is not automatically connected to vCenter, right click it in the vCenter Server GUI, and select "Connect"

André

0 Kudos