VMware Cloud Community
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update Manager plugins missing from v6 thick client

I installed VUM on a Windows server (not the same server as my vCenter).  Everything went smoothly.  When I login to vCenter using the web client, I see the Update Manager, and it shows the name of my vCenter server along with the name of the standalone server where I installed VUM.  So far, so good.

Now I run the thick client from a Windows client and I connect to the host which has the VM running vCenter.  When I click on the Plug-ins menu, Manage Plug-ins, I see "Installed Plug-ins" and "Available Plug-ins", but there is nothing else listed.  I am looking to install the Update Manager plug-ins so I can manage VUM and start patching.

I've tried using a couple different Windows clients, but all show no plug-ins.

One thing I did at the server where I installed VUM was change the service from Local System account to a domain admin account, for the "VMware vSphere Update Manager" service.  I've also rebooted the vCenter server, and the server running VUM.  Finally, I turned off all firewalls and tested - still no good.

y vCenter is 4193228, and the Windows client is 3562874.

I am in need of assistance.  I need to be able to interact with Update Manager from the Windows client please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well here's the answer...gee do I feel dumb...

I was using the Windows client to connect to the HOST where cCenter Server was.  What should be done is connect the Windows client to the vCenter Server itself (administrator@vsphere.local account in my case).  I never knew one could connect to vCenter itself with the Windows client.  Learn something new every day...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you check if you are able to see via Web client from the machine you are trying from think client.

The Update Manager Web Client plug-in is automatically enabled in the vSphere Web Client after you install the Update Manager server. The Update Manager Web Client plug-in appears as an Update Manager tab under the Monitor tab in vSphere Web Client. You just need to ensure and verify that you have the View Compliance Status privilege, otherwise you cannot see and use the Update Manager Web Client in vSphere Web Client.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I connect to vCenter from the Windows client using a web browser, I see the Update Manager:

VC web client.jpg

When I use the thick client on the same PC, and go to Plug-in Manager, I see this:

Thick client.JPG

I am trying to install & use the Update Manager on the Windows thick client, not the web client.

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Ok.. Try this.....

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager.
  2. Launch VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe and log in with vCenter Server credentials.
  3. After login, from Options select Re-register to vCenter Server.
  4. Enter vCenter Server IP address or Name, User Name and Password.
  5. Click on Apply.
  6. After applying configuration successfully, restart VMware vCenter Update Manager service.
  7. Re-login and check for Update Manager tab.
Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Umesh, thank you for your willingness to help.  I did everything you described without any problems.  The Update Manager is in the web client as before, but there are still no plug-ins available in the C# client.  Very strange.

0 Kudos
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well here's the answer...gee do I feel dumb...

I was using the Windows client to connect to the HOST where cCenter Server was.  What should be done is connect the Windows client to the vCenter Server itself (administrator@vsphere.local account in my case).  I never knew one could connect to vCenter itself with the Windows client.  Learn something new every day...

0 Kudos