I deployed a new vCSA 6.5 build 4944578 and Update Manager is not visible on the Home page, nor the Home menu, nor is there an Update Manager tab on a datacenter, cluster, or host view.
The vSphere Update Manager service is "Good" and "Running".
Does anybody else see this with vCSA 6.5 build 4944578?
I have a separate vCSA 6.5 on an earlier build 4602587 where Update Manager is present.
Tearing my hair out here... (what little is left of it)
Are you using the "vSphere Client (HTML5)" client? As VUM is not available in the HTML5 client if so you will need to use the "vSphere Web Client (Flash)" client for VUM.
VUM also is fully available in the vSphere Web Client. Both plug-ins will be available in the HTML5 vSphere Client in the future.
Coworker gave me the idea to try a URL similar to what works on the older 6.5 vCSA build. It errors out.
The URL i tried going to is /vsphere-client/?csp#extensionId%3Dcom.vmware.vum.itemsView
... this is the same URL that you would go to if you were able to click on the Update Manager icon on the Home screen or Home menu (I do not have it in either menu or home screen). I get these errors below:
Is there a plugin missing?
Same Problem here with VCSA 184.108.40.20600 Build Number 5318154.
I opened a support request in April, but still no solution.
I tried the following:
Did you exchange any SSL certificates on the VCSA? I did,maybe that's the cause for the missing VUM.
mine was missing also, but was visible from the ms server running as vcenter. problem ended up being even though they are in linked mode, i still had to go directly to the vcenter server's url i wanted to use update manager for. i.e. vcserver1 (win) url only showed update manager tab for itself, but not the vcsa. vcserver2 (vcsa) url showed update manager tab for both. weird.
I SOLVED THIS FOR ME!!!!! FINALLY
So, Folks - without the help of VMware, I inspected my other instance and figured out how to bypass all of the crap and get the VUM client installed and working....
Before starting this, make sure on your VCSA, you can locate /usr/lib/vmware-updatemgr/bin/docroot/vci/downloads/vumclient.zip.
Now perform the following steps:
I gave it a few minutes and then logged into VCSA, and low and behold, my update manager client is now there.
The problem is definitely a certificate issue when it tries to download the vumclient.zip. Clearly VMWare support has no idea how to fix that.
Anyway, I hope this work around works for you!