VMware Cloud Community
Chris_RATP2018
Contributor
Contributor

Update ESX and VCenter 6.5 to 6.7

Hello

I have 3 hosts Vsphere 6.7 and a Vcenter in 6.7 after the update from 6.5 to 6.7.

I can no longer start a Vm without the following message appears  "Le nombre total de CPU virtuelles présentes ou demandées dans la configuration des machines virtuelles a dépassé la limite de l'hôte : 21. "

I can start the machine directly when I'm on the A machine or is stored the VM but not from the Vcenter, would you have a lead?

best regards.

Tags (1)
15 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It would seem you're trying to heavily over-subscribe vCPUs to pCPUs on this VM/host combination. How many of each do you have configured?

0 Kudos
Chris_RATP2018
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

each hosts 2 pCPU x 14 Core (28vCPU).

With my next Version ESX 6.5 and VCSA 6.5 ,any problem with start and stop VM.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

With my next Version ESX 6.5 and VCSA 6.5 ,any problem with start and stop VM.

I don't know what this means.

0 Kudos
Chris_RATP2018
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry

I mean that with version 6.5 no problem for Start/stop VM 

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Without you providing more comprehensive information about how this/these VMs are configured and your hosts, we'd all just be guessing. You can otherwise open a support case with VMware and have them investigate your configuration.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Chris,

Your error message suggests there's a problem with the following:

pastedImage_1.png

• What version of the virtual hw are your VMs using?
  • Have you tried upgrading the virtual hw to a more recent version?
  • If you create a new VM, are you able to start it?

Lars

0 Kudos
cedricludovic
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Lars,

I have the same problem and for the record, we are able to start the same VM directly on the esxi web interface.

Of course, I already take a look at the kb you specify and don't found anything.

So I tried to create a new vm from scratch with the minimum resources (1 CPU, 1Go of RAM, 10Go HDD) and I have the same error.

What I noticed is that vCenter is in licenced as essential and the esxi are licenced as vSphere Essentials Plus. Not sure if it as any impact.

Thank's for your help

0 Kudos
cedricludovic
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to give some details.

vSphere have 1 instance and vSphere have 6 CPU.

We have 3 esxi with 2 CPU and our error message is with 6 CPUs.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

This issue sounds very strange. Your vCenter version is not older than your ESXi version? How many hosts are there in your cluster?

Lars

0 Kudos
cedricludovic
Contributor
Contributor

I agree.

Our vCenter server is in the latest version and latest patch. I updated it today before coming here.

There are 3 hosts.

Thank's.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Hmm...

What exactly do you mean with "our error message is with 6 CPUs"?

Lars

0 Kudos
cedricludovic
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. I mean the error I have is with 6 vCPU

"Le nombre total de CPU virtuelles présentes ou demandées dans la configuration des machines virtuelles a dépassé la limite de l'hôte : 6. " and not 21.

Again, our licences for the hosts are : VMware vSphere 6 Essentials Plus Kit for 3 hosts (Max 2 processors per host).

0 Kudos
Chris_RATP2018
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

the problem is solved.

by default filters on the function DRS is enabled and this even if the DRS is off.

The solution is to remove the filters by default and the problem is solved.

Thanks all

cedricludovic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thank's for the solution.

It works for us too.

Cheers

0 Kudos
cedricludovic
Contributor
Contributor

Hi !

After a few days of use, I can tell that we need to do that all and every single day. Sometime we're doing it 2 ou 3 in the same day.

Chris, do you have a more convenient way to do it or do you do it manually when you need to do some stuff ?

Thx.

Cédric

0 Kudos