mune3b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Understanding & Implementing Guest User Mapping

Greetings,

I have been trying to implement the Guest User Mappings. The VM has VM Tools installed (10338 (10.3.2)). Below is my understanding:

there is SSO user administrator@vsphere.local with password password.

I enable Guest user mapping given the Guest OS username and password and assigned a SSO i.e administrator@vsphere.local with username administrator in Guest User Mapping but somehow it's not working.

PFA: Screenshot.

2019-03-29_14h30_18.png

But how can I use Guest User Mapping. In the end, I wind up giving Guest OS credentials in the Remote Console.

Also I need to use Guest User Mapping for vRealize Operations Manager with Service Discovery Management Pack.

Tags (2)
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Unless your guest is part of a domain called "vsphere.local" and has a principle called "administrator", those credentials won't work. That's why it's called ​guest​ mapping. They're credentials that work inside the guest.

mune3b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok. So the SSO is basically the domain account. For example:

Guest SSO will have muneeb.ali@domain.local and the username will be administrator (as this should be the Guest OS). After this correct configuration, how can the Guest SSO login the Guest OS using Guest User Mapping?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It's a mapping of one credential (on the vSphere side) to another credential (inside the guest). So you can use administrator@vsphere.local to map that to DOMAIN\user inside the guest. This means that in order to have DOMAIN\user be the effective guest-based credential requires you login as administrator@vsphere.local. This is also covered in the official documentation if you use search.

0 Kudos
13thDisciple
Contributor
Contributor

EXCUSE ME!

I have the exact same question as this post's title... (monty python fans will understand this)

i've not g o o g l e d anything on this topic...

anyone want to throw a practical example of the use of this within vm???

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos