VMware Cloud Community
wreedctd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to vMotion from ESXi 5.5 to 6 U1

Hello,

My Vcenter server is stuck on a 5.5 host and I cannot get it to vMotion while powered on. I only have ESXi 6 hosts left at this datacenter. If I power the VMs off, they move. Obviously I cannot power off Vcenter.

The error I get is

A general system error occurred: Failed to copy one or more of the virtual machine's disks. See the virtual machine's log for more details.

Failed to set up disks on the destination host.

vMotion migration [168430346:1445297623259034] failed to read stream keepalive: Connection closed by remote host, possibly due to timeout

Failed waiting for data. Error 195887167. Connection closed by remote host, possibly due to timeout.

Any ideas?

31 Replies
wreedctd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah that will just take forever. I guess I will have to. I am going to go to the data center in a moment and try this.

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

yes this can go a lot of time.

btw. if you don't want to loose the network settings, shutdown the vcenter vm, remove the vm from inventory, export the folder and import it to a datastore. then browse to the vmx file and click on add to inventory

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
wreedctd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I presented a Iscsi Lun over copper and Vmotioned it to another DS. Thanks guys!

panhia
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.  I just upgraded my host to ESXi 6 update 1 and now I can't vmotion live VM.  if i shut them down, i can vmotion them...  it throws this error after about 90% progress.

0 Kudos
panhia
Contributor
Contributor

i noticed that web client link is removed from esxi 6.o update one.  the link is still showing up at the console. if you have your old link, just change it to the new IP address/host name and you'll be good.

0 Kudos
panhia
Contributor
Contributor

some body share a solution to this problem.  I got VMware engineer on the phone and we tested all networking.  everything is good, ping with no problem.  migrated cold VMs to and from both hosts(host 1 with esxi 6.0 update 1 and host 2 still on esxi 5.5) with no problem.  but hot VM migration to host 1 is failing at 90%.  all my productions VMs on host 2, (they were originally migrated from host 1 to host 2 so that host 1 could go into maintenance mode for esxi 6 upgrade. now I can't migrate HOT VMs (production servers) back to host 1, which is now on esxi 6.0 update 1.  i can't upgrade host 2. well, that's the least of my concerns for now since it's going away.  i just need to vmotion the guest VMs to host 1.

0 Kudos
panhia
Contributor
Contributor

worked with another engineer this afternoon.

vmware released a new patch today to fix this issue.  seems to be caused by block changes--if you do backup.

VMware KB: Backing up a Changed Block Tracking enabled virtual machine in ESXi 6.0.x returns incorre...

VMware KB: VMware ESXi 6.0, Patch Release ESXi600-201511001

downloaded, installed patch and still can't vmotion hot vm from esxi 5.5 host to esxi 6.0 update 1 host.  lacked of features in 6.0 update 1??  who knows.

i did noticed while in the thick client that i don't have the option to vmotion hot vm fpr both host resource and datastore. only one or the other.  in the web client, you get all three option. hot or cold.

per the engineer, i might have to have a down time for my production servers to migrate them from 5.5 to 6.0up1.

have fun and happy thanksgiving everyone!

0 Kudos
wreedctd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you have shared storage? You can shutdown, detach from  problem host and add back to inventory on good host then boot up. thats what i did. took 30 secs.

0 Kudos
JuBa22
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm also having this issue.

Started updating some esxi hosts to version 6.0 and experiencing vmotion errors.

Vmotioning from esxi 5.5 to 6.0 is ok. But once the vm is on 6.0 I'm getting the errors when trying to move it.

I have installed ESXi 6.0 build 3073146.

Error message:

An error occurred while saving the state for migration.

vMotion migration [-1408232686:1449658298653308] failed to read stream keepalive: Connection closed by remote host, possibly due to timeout

Failed waiting for data. Error 195887167. Connection closed by remote host, possibly due to timeout.

I would be great to have this issue solved.

I have stopped upgrading until I get a solution for this one.

Thanks,

JB

0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure ur vmware tool is running,if not please do an upgrade

0 Kudos
JuBa22
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Installing latest patch solved the issue for me.

Now running build 3247720

Regards,

JB

0 Kudos
ssathe
Contributor
Contributor

After spending quite at time found it is know issue. Solution is to upgrade ESXi 6.0 u2 or 5.5 patch . Please see below KB .

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2143943

Resolution

This issue is resolved in:

ESXi 6.0 Update 2, available at VMware Downloads. For more information, see the VMware ESXi 6.0 Update 2 Release Notes.

ESXi 5.5 patch ESXi550-201602001. For more information, see VMware ESXi 5.5, Patch Release ESXi550-201602001 (2144353).

To work around this issue if you are unable to upgrade, power off the virtual machine and power it on.

0 Kudos