VMware Cloud Community
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to update VCG database - VMware Skyline Health Diagnostics for vSphere v2.0.1

I am unable to update the VCG database for my VSHD v2.0.1 installation. I get various errors:

VCG connect failed - {}

VCG Database update failed.

VCG connect failed - Connecting to URL failed.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

The server has internet connectivity

Has any one had a successful VCG update recently?

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
50 Replies
g0rbi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, drop me a mail or such...

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For the July task I see when log was collected task was in progress, we need to wait and collect logs again which may reflect success or failure. Also as Anshuman mentioned if UI reporting error, we need to collect UI network calls to investigate further.

0 Kudos
g0rbi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

so drop me a mail or such if / when I can assist. we could have a webex or such...

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I see there were many attempt for VCG update in July

vmware-shd.log:2021-07-23 10:06:47,020 vmware-shd INFO view_decorators:108 Request VCGUpdate.post with id 59375dcc8b9c239c for shd-admin submitted - 202

vmware-shd.log:2021-07-23 10:27:01,416 vmware-shd INFO view_decorators:108 Request VCGUpdate.post with id edcedd61c0da4c23 for shd-admin submitted - 202

vmware-shd.log:2021-07-23 10:31:09,500 vmware-shd INFO view_decorators:108 Request VCGUpdate.post with id 4381cb2783abac01 for shd-admin submitted - 202

vmware-shd.log:2021-07-23 10:36:11,656 vmware-shd INFO view_decorators:108 Request VCGUpdate.post with id f2e210b21a3d5525 for shd-admin submitted - 202

vmware-shd.log:2021-07-23 10:44:39,080 vmware-shd INFO view_decorators:108 Request VCGUpdate.post with id be22793a93539301 for shd-admin submitted - 202

As the first task is in progress all further attempt are reported as failure because first one is not yet complete.

I believe UI can be fixed to report issue properly so that user will know that further attempts are denied because one task is already in progress.

0 Kudos
g0rbi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think something like "update already / still in progress" and / or a greyed out update-button would be nice.

berndweyand
Expert
Expert

just updated to version 2.5.1

update vcg database still not working.

i will wait until version 3.x - before i´m be unwilling to waiste more time in this crude software

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please share SHD support bundle to let us find out root cause, run script /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/shd-support and share generated log bundle.

0 Kudos
anshumansingh
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We disable the UI button if the VCG update is In-Progress and show the progress spinner. Please refer to the attached screenshot.

ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ho @g0rbi 

Can you please login to SHD appliance and reset the permissions for vcgupdate binary. Appears the file is owned by root user but vmware-shd users account (with which api service runs) has no exec permissions on it. BY default this file is expected to be owned by root.users with 0755 permission bits

Login to SHD appliance as root user and execute following command

chmod a+rx /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/vcgupdate

You don't need to restart the services post this. Let me know if this helps.

-Thanks

Ram

0 Kudos
g0rbi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ksram 

After running the command, the rights are now:

root@vc-shd [ ~ ]# ls -la /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/vcgupdate
-r-xr-xr-x 1 vmware-shd users 101504 Jul 14 10:18 /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/app/vcgupdate

And the database update works now. I haven't changed anything on this file-rights, used the OVA template of SHD, so I guess there must be more users having this problem out there.

0 Kudos
ksram
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the update @g0rbi.

The patching process did not set the required permission. It has been corrected now. So any further online updates to 2.5.1 would not see this issue.

-Thanks

Ram

0 Kudos