VMware Cloud Community
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to update VCG database - VMware Skyline Health Diagnostics for vSphere v2.0.1

I am unable to update the VCG database for my VSHD v2.0.1 installation. I get various errors:

VCG connect failed - {}

VCG Database update failed.

VCG connect failed - Connecting to URL failed.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_3.png

The server has internet connectivity

Has any one had a successful VCG update recently?

Thanks

M

0 Kudos
50 Replies
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @MC1903,

Skyline Health is a different product taken care by vCenter Team. Moving this thread to the vCenter community to assist you better.

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
Skyline Support Moderator
MCSE-2003/2008|RHCA|VCP-5/6/VCAP-6
0 Kudos
MC1903
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks AjayChananaVMware

:smileyconfused: As if life was not complicated enough already!

Who signed off allowing two separate products to share a similar name. #madness

M

0 Kudos
Pendragon2001
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have the same problem.

Any solutions.

Possible to do it with shell to see more log messages?

Maybe moving the thread to another support/dev team?

Best regards

Maik

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is a known issue related to service start order which is fixed in SHD release 2.0.3. Please try restarting vmware-shd service and try again (Don't reboot SHD machine/VM). 

You can run below command to do that

systemctl restart vmware-shd

0 Kudos
anshumansingh
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This issue is fixed into the latest released version of SHD-2.0.4, please update the environment to this version and the issue should be resolved.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
WinkyWes
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running Skyline Health Diagnostics virtual appliance v2.04 & can confirm this issue still exists. I have Internet connectivity & can successfully update the "Tools" but the "VCG" database update continues to fail w/ the same reported errors that began this post. I attempted to restart the service via the "systemctl restart vmware-shd" & tried to update the "VCG" database once again, but received the same exact error. I am logged in w/ the service account "shd-admin" when attempting to run the "VCG" database update.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are you using any proxy? please check if the proxy configuration is correct.

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can look into the logs for reason vcg update failing. The log file for this is /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/log/vmware-shd-vcgupdate.log

Please post the log snippet if you see any errors.

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

Same problem here with 2.0.4

vmware-shd-vcgupdate.log reports many "VCG Server denied access - 403"

vmware-shd-update.log reports that the manifest*.xml can be downloaed from https://shd-download.vmware.com/latest/... so its no connectivity problem

how can i connect to the shd with ssh (root or shd-admin) - it always denies me. only concole works

0 Kudos
WinkyWes
Contributor
Contributor

SkylineHealthVCGUpdateError 2.pngSkylineHealthVCGUpdateError 3.pngSkylineHealthVCGUpdateError.png

0 Kudos
WinkyWes
Contributor
Contributor

No proxy in use & everything else works fine including the "tools upgrade". Proxy settings are configured correctly. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
WinkyWes
Contributor
Contributor

This is the error I receive when attempting to update the VCG database:

SkylineHealthVCGUpdateError 4.png

Thank you!

0 Kudos
WinkyWes
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else experiencing this issue w/ Skyline v2..0.4? Anyone know of suggestions, workarounds, or remediation steps? Thank you!

0 Kudos
AviKamath
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, same issue on 2.0.4

0 Kudos
WinkyWes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback and validation. Now the appliance displays the following error & the "Update VCG Database" button is no longer selectable. I have made no changes on my end since initial install:

araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We came to know that there was some issue at VCG side few days back, due to which its performance suffered, Please retry and post latest results.

Thanks

Ashish

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

VCG Update button greyed out, reboot did not help

berndweyand_0-1614853129204.png

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I believe there must be some message below grayed-out button, Could you please share full UI screen shot as well as SHD logs?

SHD logs are under /opt/vmware-shd/vmware-shd/log folder

0 Kudos
araikwar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have observed that VCG update site is now validating User-Agent header for each request. This was not there earlier, we have implemented as well as validated the fix and it will be available in SHD release/patch 2.0.5.

0 Kudos