VMware Cloud Community
arish121
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to take a quisced backup when a disk is mounted to a mount point

I want to take a quisced backup. I tried all the scenarios for the failure. The reason for failure is present in the following logs

2018-03-30T09:48:04.433Z| vcpu-0| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: IDLE -> STARTED

2018-03-30T09:48:07.736Z| vcpu-0| I120: Msg_Post: Warning

2018-03-30T09:48:07.736Z| vcpu-0| I120: [msg.snapshot.quiesce.vmerr] The guest OS has reported an error during quiescing.

2018-03-30T09:48:07.736Z| vcpu-0| I120+ The error code was: 5

2018-03-30T09:48:07.736Z| vcpu-0| I120+ The error message was: 'VssSyncStart' operation failed: IDispatch error #8462 (0x8004230e)

2018-03-30T09:48:07.736Z| vcpu-0| I120: ----------------------------------------

2018-03-30T09:48:07.740Z| vcpu-0| I120: Vigor_MessageRevoke: message 'msg.snapshot.quiesce.vmerr' (seq 1218453) is revoked

2018-03-30T09:48:07.740Z| vcpu-0| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: STARTED -> ERROR_WAIT

2018-03-30T09:48:09.750Z| vcpu-0| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: ERROR_WAIT -> IDLE

2018-03-30T09:48:09.750Z| vcpu-0| I120: ToolsBackup: changing quiesce state: IDLE -> DONE

2018-03-30T09:48:09.750Z| vcpu-0| I120: SnapshotVMXTakeSnapshotComplete: Done with snapshot 'snapshot-specific': 0

2018-03-30T09:48:09.750Z| vcpu-0| I120: SnapshotVMXTakeSnapshotComplete: Snapshot 0 failed: Failed to quiesce the virtual machine (31).

This scenario comes only when a disk is mounted to a mount point it will reproduce the above error. But when the same drive is attached by giving a drive letter it works perfectly fine.

In my scenario, I have two datastores attached to the vm with two disks respectively.

Both are attached as basic disks one of them is mounted and when i try to create a quiesce snapshot it fails consistently with the same error.

Thanks in Advance

Arish Ballana

11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

So in your scenario, quiesce fails when it's *not* mounted and succeeds when it *is* mounted. If a disk doesn't have a drive letter it isn't mounted by Windows. The error you're receiving is probably a VSS error that's being relayed to the VMtools provider. Windows isn't able to invoke VSS for a disk that isn't mounted. What is your use case for wanting such functionality in the first place?

0 Kudos
AjayChananaVMwa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Based on above error. Please check the below KB.

VMware Knowledge Base

Sincerely,
Ajay Chanana
Skyline Support Moderator
MCSE-2003/2008|RHCA|VCP-5/6/VCAP-6
0 Kudos
arish121
Contributor
Contributor

In my scenario i am providing a mount point to the disk rather than providing a drive letter. Disk is mounted but to a mount point. And after that if i take a quiesce backup fails consistently.

About my use case

I am trying to clone a sql database using commands with a policy that the user want to delete it after few hours or few days he is able to delete it. So i don't want to restrict the user to just have only 23 drives (one for each database clone). They will be cleaned on the user basis. I can also provide drive letters which will allow it to work. But it's just a restriction to user.

0 Kudos
arish121
Contributor
Contributor

This would not help me out as i require quiesce backup as i am working with some application on VMware. If quiesce backup fails it would not help me to proceed with use case.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

In my scenario i am providing a mount point to the disk rather than providing a drive letter. Disk is mounted but to a mount point.

Can you explain (or show) what you mean by a mount point versus mounting the volume and assigning a drive letter?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

A NTFS-volume can be mounted to a driveletter so that it appears in explorer under lets say E:\
You can also assign an empty directory on a NTFS-partition - so that the volume appears as for example C:\disk2.
The advantage of using mount points is that you are no longer restricted to a limited number of NTFS-volumes from C:\ to Z:\
Instead you can use an almost unlimited amount of NTFS-volumes.
Drawback: many third party tools are not programmed to handle mount points

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for that explanation, continuum​. I totally forgot about that ability since I almost never see it. This could just be a limitation of VMware tools. I don't know I've ever seen (or tried) to quiesce a disk or series of disks which were not mounted and assigned a drive letter.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would not expect that the developers of the vmware-tools even considered this option.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Agreed.

arish121​, the only thing I could recommend trying is to update the VMware Tools version to the latest available on this VM (taking a snapshot, of course), and see if that works. You can use v10.2.5 that was released last week to check.

0 Kudos
arish121
Contributor
Contributor

daphnissov​ i tried with the latest VMware Tools still getting the same error, the mounted disks are not supported in a quiesce snapshot. It consistently fails.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then it's probably not designed to work at all.

0 Kudos