VMware Cloud Community
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to scan the datastores in a new cluster (VCSA 6.5)

Hi All,

Need your help in finding a fix for the datastore issues. Recently created a cluster with 6 UCS hosts and applied the host profile dVS and all other port groups are created.

In the Datastores (iSCSI) only one iSCSI datastore is mapping rest of 8. Re scanned for the for the reflection no use.

Also Targets are not automatically pointing to the hosts. Need more information in finding a solution please let me know.

Regards,

Suresh.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm really just having a hard time even understanding what the problem is. Your thread title says "unable to scan" but your body suggests the targets aren't showing up. Maybe you can explain this one more time but with some pictures?

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your inputs,

Created a cluster with 6 hosts in VCSA 6.5, later datastores iSCSI configured by the storage team to the hosts. After rescan on the hosts the datastores are not getting mapped to the hosts.

This is the first we have created in VCSA 6.5. In the attachment the datastore.png screen shot refers the host in new cluster.

Other Cluster with Datastores is the one which in production.

Kindly suggest or let me know if we need more information or where I want to check in the host.

Regards,

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You're just showing the datastore objects, which have nothing to do with how they get mapped. This is what you need to troubleshoot:

1. Do the iSCSI targets have the correct IQNs mapped?
  2. Is there Layer-2 connectivity from initiators to targets?
  3. Does each host have vmkernel ports in the same L2 as the target portal?
  4. Does each host have the initiator configured properly?
  5. Can you vmkping from each host's vmkernel port used by iSCSI to the target?

Please show an example host's networking topology from the virtual switch perspective and its iSCSI initiator config.

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Please find the screen dumps below, from given 5 points only the 5th needs to be cross verified.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

we might sure in the 5th point ping also working fine as we have 1 iSCSI datastore automatically mapped after the datastore configuration by the storage team.

but need your suggestion in fixing this issue. Need any other information please let me know.

Regards.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

This last response only addresses question number three I asked above. Please answer the rest of the questions.

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please find the information for other questions.

1.Do the iSCSI targets have the correct IQNs mapped?

Yes, we mapped all the correct IQNs.

2.Is there Layer-2 connectivity from initiators to targets?

3.Does each host have vmkernel ports in the same L2 as the target portal?

4.Does each host have the initiator configured properly?

yes those are configured properly, like all other clusters in the vCenter. Cross verified with other clusters.

5.Can you vmkping from each host's vmkernel port used by iSCSI to the target?

we are able to ping the iSCSI targets from each host.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I would check your storage array again and verify your IQNs are correct, if you're using CHAP then that's correct, and other storage-side configuration elements that may be in play.

If your vmkernel ports are set up and unique, they are in two different L2 subnets, each has access to a target portal in that subnet, and you can reach each portal, you should see those disk devices presented. If you're not seeing that (especially since you said you used Host Profiles to apply the confis), more than likely it's a target issue.

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes agreed its mostly a target issues.

am able to ping the iSCSI LUN IPS from the hosts, verified with storage team they said, the LUN's (Datastores) are mapped from storage.

As its a target issue, could you please help in next steps for fixing this issues. Any other elements need to be verified.

The total paths also not over committed!

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

After the findings we have an error message on NetApp UVA  VM console  "vasa provider and sra is running and not registered with vsphere" on the Appliance, the VASA service is running fine, we are able to reach from the web console and the certs..valid till 2023.

we have running case with netapp support, if you could please provide any suggestions for finding solution.

Followed this article no use.

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos