VMware Cloud Community
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to remove orphaned datastore from vCenter

I'm running vCenter v6 Update 3.  I had an ESXi v5.5 host (old hardware) with a few VMs in my vCenter .  I migrated the VMs to a new ESXi v6 host, then disconnected the old host and removed it from vCenter inventory.  However, one of the datastores from the 5.5 host didn't get removed.

When I right-click on it, the "unmount datastore" and "delete datastore" options in vCenter are grayed out.  I've seen some how-to's about removing a datastore from a host using CLI, but the host itself is gone.  So I have this orphan datastore in vCenter that isn't attached to anything.

There were no snapshots inexistence on the datastore, which is one thing that seems to cause this issue.  The only thing I've been able to do to the datastore is rename it, which I did.  I've searched the web and can't find a solution for my scenario.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please check whether one of the migrated VMs still has a path to the datastore, e.g. an ISO image entry in it's virtual CD-ROM settings. If so, set the CD-ROM to Client Device.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please check whether one of the migrated VMs still has a path to the datastore, e.g. an ISO image entry in it's virtual CD-ROM settings. If so, set the CD-ROM to Client Device.

André

0 Kudos
dfosbenner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

André,

THANK YOU!!!!!

2 of the VM's had "Datastore ISO file" on the CD-ROM.  I changed them to Client Device, and when I went back to the list of datastores, the orphan was gone.  Amazing. I hadn't seen any reference to this anywhere.

I'm really glad to clean that up, especially on a Friday afternoon!

-Dave

0 Kudos