VMware Cloud Community
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to read / write to NFS datastore

Hello all,
I am having an issue with an NFS datastore within Vcenter. I have a NFS share on a Win2k3 server which I am able to successfully mount. However.. I cannot write to it even though the permissions seem correct.  This server is hooked up to an EVA Storage vault drive array with 2TB of storage.
It looks like it's not listing the contents either as when I try to mount it, it shows as 0.00B capacity.. and I know there are files in that NFS datastore. From this same host, I can mount my other NFS datastore successfully from a 2008 server, just not sure what may not be configured correctly here.

Please help.. been at this for 2 days banging my head on my desk! Smiley Sad
Screen shots are attached. If there are any log files I could post that would help, please let me know and I'll attach them as well.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Woot! It worked. I changed the local security policy to the KB article, but then allowed anonymous access with the GID of -2 and UID of -2. Once that was done, it's now showing correctly in Vcenter and allowing me to read and write to the data store. Before I had it set to 0,0 even with the security policy change which didn't work. So hopefully this issue helps someone in the future and they don't have a hair pulling experience like I did. Smiley Happy

WHAT A PAIN !

Anyways, thanks all for your time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Did you 'enable unmapped user access'?  Check this awesome post by tomtom901.  This example is for a read only share so adjust as appropriate.

0 Kudos
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply Grasshopper, but that solution does not apply to me as I am using Server 2003 R2. My screen shots above show the console.

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I'll check / test this out and come back to you tomorrow.

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I've found that the issue might be related to space concerns. Could you try by using a smaller disk size for the NFS share?

0 Kudos
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks tomtom. I believe the problem is definitely permission related now as I am  not able to use the option for "no server authentication" and Enable Unmapped User Access as I could in my Server 2008 datastore.

0 Kudos
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I actually tried on two different shares with two different disk sizes. One on a SAN, one on a local disk with the same problem.

0 Kudos
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One other thing I tried which was mentioned in a KB Article was to modify the local security policy of the server.

Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users.

This was done and it did not correct the problem.

tomtom901
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

But if you can mount it, you have the required permissions to access it.

0 Kudos
kjs00333
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Woot! It worked. I changed the local security policy to the KB article, but then allowed anonymous access with the GID of -2 and UID of -2. Once that was done, it's now showing correctly in Vcenter and allowing me to read and write to the data store. Before I had it set to 0,0 even with the security policy change which didn't work. So hopefully this issue helps someone in the future and they don't have a hair pulling experience like I did. Smiley Happy

WHAT A PAIN !

Anyways, thanks all for your time.

0 Kudos