VMware Cloud Community
linalli
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to power on VMs or connect via VMRC on vSphere web client

First off, I would like to preface with apologies for any incorrect or misued terminology - I don't actually know what I'm doing here, this is being done in a classroom environment with next to no information having been provided on how vSphere/vCenter operates. 

I've run into an issue today where I am unable to power on any VMs residing on ESXi hosts or connect to them using VMRC through the vSphere web client - however I can power them on and launch VMRC fine through the ESXi web interfaces. I'm using vCenter 6.5.

The virtual machines power on initially failed with 'The operation is not allowed', no further information, but after screwing around with some AD settings (don't ask, I'm not really sure what I did) I am now getting:

"The "Power on virtual machine" operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

InternalServerError (com.vmware.vapi.std.errors.internal_server_error) => {
messages = [LocalizableMessage (com.vmware.vapi.std.localizable_message) => {
id = vapi.bindings.method.impl.unexpected,
defaultMessage = Provider method implementation threw unexpected exception: Rejecting login on a session where login failed,
args = [Rejecting login on a session where login failed]
}],
data = <null>
}""

as an error.

With the VMRC, I get the error: 

"The remote virtual machine vm-31 on host <hostname.domain.com>:443 cannot be opened: Host is disconnected or not powered on."

even though the VM is powered on and accessible through the web client's browser console, and accessible through VMRC from the ESXi web interface.

I'm assuming this is some kind of permissions issue? The environment we have set up is very basic and there's a very high chance that something has not been configured right when configuring domain-related settings.

Any advice or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe your problem is related to some permissions set, the easiest way to check this is to use another user with higher permissions such as an administrator, or you can assign more permissions to your user.

you must assign permission to each host of the cluster If your ESXi host is part of a cluster

0 Kudos
batuhandemirdal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Have you tried accessing from ssh?

0 Kudos
birend1988
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is host managed from vcenter? Try to power on the vm from vcenter and check.

Also check hostd service status on host.

VCIX, NCAP
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine:

With the VMRC, I get the error: 

"The remote virtual machine vm-31 on host <hostname.domain.com>:443 cannot be opened: Host is disconnected or not powered on."

Do you know if the ESXi host is connected?
if you don't know, can you share a screenshot?

0 Kudos
linalli
Contributor
Contributor

Hey everyone, thanks for the help 🙂

I'm still not sure what was going on, but once I changed to a different computer the issue went away. Tried again on that same computer a few days later and it happened again, so I'm going to assume it's a problem with my college's network and leave it at that. Everything works fine on any other computer.

0 Kudos