VMware Cloud Community
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to open MKS: Internal Error

I have setup a vCenter server 6.0 Update 2 appliance in an ESXI 6.0 host. After add an ESXI host, I encounter error "Unable to open MKS: Internal Error" when open the virtual machine console through vSphere Client.

According to the VMware KB (https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21165... ), this problem have already solved in vCenter 6.0 Update 2. Any suggestion aside from vmotion it to another ESXI host?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Did you add ESXi host using IP or FQDN?

If you added ESXi host using it's FQDN, can you successfully resolve it from a machine where you run vsphere client?

0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

I add the ESXI host to vCenter Server using IP

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

just in case, can you check vmware.log of an affected VM and see if there are any errors related to MKS?

Also can you try open console from Web client? does it work?

If you try to connect directly to your host using vsphere client, can you open console successfully?

0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

No, I can't open the console through Web Client or directly from the EXSI host itself (using vSphere Client)

All the symptom is same as written in the KB2116542

vmware.log show the error as below:

| mks| W110: SSL: Unknown SSL Error

| mks| I120: SSL Error: error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca

| mks| I120: SSL Error: error:140940E5:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:ssl handshake failure

| mks| I120: SOCKET 517 (149) recv error 0: Success

| mks| W110: SOCKET 517 (149) Error during authd-VNC negotiation: (1) Asyncsocket error.

| mks| W110: SSL: Unknown SSL Error

| mks| I120: SSL Error: error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca

| mks| I120: SSL Error: error:140940E5:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:ssl handshake failure

| mks| I120: SOCKET 518 (149) recv error 0: Success

| mks| W110: SOCKET 518 (149) Error during authd-VNC negotiation: (1) Asyncsocket error.

I going to restart the VM and try again later on

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

have you verified DNS is correct, both forward and reverse lookups? 9 time out of 10 whenever I have encountered this issue it has related to DNS.

also here is a good troubleshooting article on this issue:

All about VMware: MKS: Internal Error” when connecting to the virtual machine console

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Ao7
Contributor
Contributor

The error does not appear anymore after I shutdown the VM and turn it on back again

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

I would recommend leave a feedbak for KB article. Provide there ESXi and VC build numbers, log snippets. So they could egit KB accordingly.

0 Kudos
jpaulhart
Contributor
Contributor

my wild guess:

mks| I120: SSL Error: error:14094418:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:tlsv1 alert unknown ca

that says everything.
Invalid CA.

refresh certificates via vcenter server using the web-interface.

kind regards

Juergen

0 Kudos