Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Unable to move VM to new datastore

VMWare ESXI 6.5

Windows 10

trying to move this vm to my new data store

get this error

Failed waiting for data. Error 195887107. Not found.

Failed to copy one or more disks.

A fatal internal error occurred. See the virtual machine's log for more details.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes you can V2V with VMware Converter. After selecting the destination (which can be the same ESXi host), the next screen is about Options. From here you can click on the Data to Copy and in the right hand pane you will see this:

Disk Copy Type (VMware Converter).jpg

This is block level so click the drop down and select this:

Disk Copy Type - change (VMware Converter).jpg

This is also block level so don't get excited yet. Now click Advanced... and you can change the sizes of the drives (could actually do it in the Basic version but this one make you feel more like a real geek):

Disk Copy - File Level (VMware Converter).jpg

As you can see, I have changed the size of the partitions and the copy has switched to File Level.

Is this what you were looking for or do you require more to get you started?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What is in the VirtualMachine log files?

What is the source and the destination storage type?

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello

I checked to widows logs and I found a few errors that the disk drive has some bad blocks.

I am going from an internal datastore to a NAS storage using NFS

I already move many VMs with little issue.

This VM also does not let Veeam back it up that fails so the disk at be the problem.

could I clone this VM will that give me clean files?

Thanks

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Update

The clone failed also

so some bad disk on the current datastore? or the files for this VM are corrupt?

Any ideas

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Have you tried by changing the target format, i.e. thin to thick if you are using these. Given it's going to NFS this might already be happening.

Another thing you could try is to use VMware converter. Might not have any better fortune but there are a couple of options you could try:

1. "Convert" the VM by using block level (the default)
  2. "Convert" the VM by reducing the size of the disks which switches you to file level

You might have some fortune by trying this as if its a block level issue which doesn't contain data then it might move round it. On that note you could also try a chkdsk /f within the VM on all the drives to see if the inconsistency can be flagged at an OS level.

Also is the source VMFS? If then try this from the ESXi shell:

voma -m vmfs -f check -d /vmfs/devices/disk/<DiskId>

The DiskId needs to include the partition number with the device name, e.g. naa.00000000000000000000000000000703:3

If there are any inconsistency on the datastore then this will report them. Doesn't mean the VM is unrecoverable just a little more work Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ThompsG

The target is thin format and so is the source.

VMWare converter ?  I used that to P2V   does it work the other way? any instructions on that?

steps 1 and 2 do not see option to convert the VM

ran chkdsk /f restarted VM no change.

The current datastore is VMFS 5

Will try the last one tomorrow.

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Yes you can V2V with VMware Converter. After selecting the destination (which can be the same ESXi host), the next screen is about Options. From here you can click on the Data to Copy and in the right hand pane you will see this:

Disk Copy Type (VMware Converter).jpg

This is block level so click the drop down and select this:

Disk Copy Type - change (VMware Converter).jpg

This is also block level so don't get excited yet. Now click Advanced... and you can change the sizes of the drives (could actually do it in the Basic version but this one make you feel more like a real geek):

Disk Copy - File Level (VMware Converter).jpg

As you can see, I have changed the size of the partitions and the copy has switched to File Level.

Is this what you were looking for or do you require more to get you started?

0 Kudos
insearchof
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ThompsG

That worked

It moved to the new datastore as a new VM

When I added it to my Veeam Backup job it showed 475 B  not 100 GB for the disk size.

Any ideas  on that

otherwise this can be marked as resolved.

Thank you

0 Kudos