VMware Cloud Community
zion40
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to login to vCenter server

I have a windows 2008 64 bit vm and did a simple install of the vCenter server 5.5 on it. The vm is not part of any domain and it has a dhcp ip address coming to it. After the simple install, I installed vsphere client and tried to login to using locahost, admin/pwd from the vm. I got an error saying "you do not have permission to login to server". Upon searching for possible solutions, I saw kb article 2037410 that mentions about this issue being resolved in 5.5 but I am still seeing this error. I did a few debugging steps to resolve the issue. I tried to join the vm to an existing domain, assign a static ip address to it and then did a simple install. I also tried to login to the VC from another machine which was in the same domain. Neither of them worked. The vm resides on a physical host that has ESXi 5.0 if that matters.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The default SSO user with vSphere 5.5 is the administrator@vsphere.local you configured during SSO installation. Are you able to login using this user account?

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

I too had a same issue while setting up ESXi 5.5 lab, seems that it has to do with the DNS, I tried a lot of steps and finally had to re-install the SSO.

hope this helps.

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos
zion40
Contributor
Contributor

To login to the VCenter, are you suggesting I try using administrator@vsphere.local and the pwd I gave for the SSO at the time of install? If yes, I tried that and it gave me a different error that said: "Unknown connection error occurred".

0 Kudos
zion40
Contributor
Contributor

Avinash21 - Could you please elaborate on the steps you did to resolve the DNS issue? I tried re installing the SSO with no luck.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

1. Removed the computer from the domain and put it on the local work group.

2.  uninstalled the SSO from the machine -  and did a install of the SSO only. and Ensured its pointed to the vCenter server,

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=203362...

3. Its seem to works now., I Join the machine to the domain and It seems to come up with the error, "you do not have permission to login to server "

That's how I figured out something is going wrong or some entry in DNS. I am still trying to figure this out. and I am currently testing the same as we speak.

Thanks,

Avinash

0 Kudos