VMware Cloud Community
LordLeonidas
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to get VMCA 8 Essentials running on Workstatio 17 Pro (for Windows)

I am trying to get an Instance of vCMA 8 Essentials to run within my Workstation 17 Pro (on MS Windows 11 Workstation Pro).

However after getting the import done via "VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-8.0.0.10100-20920323_OVF10.ova" the setup of vCenter itself will end in "Failed to start services. Firstboot error". The error is somewhere in the logs but I am unable to to get to those logfiles (during setup I did make sure to have the ssh activated).

To make sure a FDQN is available an A-record is defined on my hardware pfSense firewall appliance (which is also used for DHCP / DNS requests).

Mind you when I create a VM ESXi 8 "host" first as a guest OS within Workstation 17 Pro I can install the vCMA 8 Essentials on top of this ESXi 8 host.

(This is my lab setup at home so I can run Windows /Ubuntu and a virtual firewall.)

Basically I could switch back to just ESXi 8 on a hardware device and update it manually but I am hoping I will be able to use the vCenter 8 Essentials instead.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please take a look at https://williamlam.com/2022/10/how-to-deploy-the-vcenter-server-appliance-vcsa-8-0-to-vmware-fusion-... to see whether this helps.

Also mote that a vCenter Server default installation also requires reverse DNS resolution, i.e. a PTR DNS entry that resolves the IP address to the name.

André

LordLeonidas
Contributor
Contributor

Sry for the late reply.

But I managed to get the vCenter (guest) up and running on my Workstation 17 Pro host.

0 Kudos