VMware Cloud Community
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to export warnings from event log

Hey all, I have a vCenter server that has three host servers. I'm dealing with some latency issues so I'm trying to export the warnings from my host servers but failing miserably. I can go to the Events tab under Monitor, filter for warnings and pull up several warnings. BUT, when I click on the Export icon, uncheck Error and Information, set my time frame for the last two days and click on Generate CSV Report I get a "No events match the provided criteria." I can see the warnings and I can see that they meet the criteria. Is there some arcane requirement that I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, I was confused because I thought you were talking about Log Insight.

You might check, if you're in linked mode with multiple vCenters, that you're connected to the right one. Although events will show combined, they'll only be exported in the right instance. If that's still not working, try from PowerCLI with

Get-VIEvent -Start <date> -Finish 0<date> | Export-CSV .path/to/file.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

And see if that exports them. In a test I did in my lab, this did export all those events, including warnings and errors.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not that I've heard of. What version and platform of vCenter? Alternatively, if you have this pointed at Log Insight (and you should as you get a free 25-OSI pack just by virtue of owning vCenter), you can easily export this from a query which captures these warnings if you've performed the vSphere integration task.

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning daphnissov,

I'm running vCenter 6.0.0 Build 3339084 and it was installed from a VMware appliance.

I will look into implementing Log Insight. Sounds like what I'm looking for regarding this issue.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's an interesting twist to my issue -- I just tried to export all Error, Warning, and Information events and the only thing that made it out were the Information events. I am right now sitting here and I see some Errors and Warnings in the Events window but I can't export them. I'm open to any ideas, suggestions, or recommendations on what's going on here.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you perhaps show what you mean? I have no problems performing this operation.

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here are two screen shots of what I'm seeing. the All3.png picture is looking at the events in vCenter. You can see Information, Warning, and Error events. The AllInfo.png picture is a screenshot of the same time frame in an exported .csv file. The "Allinfo" picture shows only information events. I had all three event types selected but only Information events made it out alive.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok, I was confused because I thought you were talking about Log Insight.

You might check, if you're in linked mode with multiple vCenters, that you're connected to the right one. Although events will show combined, they'll only be exported in the right instance. If that's still not working, try from PowerCLI with

Get-VIEvent -Start <date> -Finish 0<date> | Export-CSV .path/to/file.csv -NoTypeInformation -UseCulture

And see if that exports them. In a test I did in my lab, this did export all those events, including warnings and errors.

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks daphnissov! It took me some time to get things figured out but I just successfully downloaded the events I was looking for.

Thanks again,

Joe B

0 Kudos