VMware Cloud Community
ginginho
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to edit a version 10 guest with the vSphere client - any technical reason why?

Ok so I like the vSphere client, I dislike the web client. I realise that I will have to get used to it but is there a technical reason why 5.5 users cannot edit hardware version 10 guest settings using the vSphere client or has VMware implemented this just to force customers to adopt the web client?

It seems like a heavy-handed (almost Microsoft-like) 'we know best' approach that VMware is taking - the vSphere client is so deep-rooted, why can't they keep both and let customers choose which they prefer? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Lessi001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

it is not possible to edit a HW 10 guest with your vSphere Client - you will have to use the webclient for this...

Regards

Andreas

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
0 Kudos
ginginho
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Andreas - I realise that, I just wondered why? Is there a technical reason or has this just been disabled by VMware in a bid to force a quicker adoption of the vSphere web client?

Regards,

Shane

0 Kudos
rmtilson1
Contributor
Contributor

The technical reason is that VMware did not add support to the client for v10 hardware. This also goes for all new features included in vSphere 5.5.

0 Kudos
raog
Expert
Expert

Its not that they can't do it due to a technical limitation.. they chose not to do it as they want the customers to become familiar with the newer web client and move away from the windows (read Microsoft) dependency Smiley Happy

Regards

Girish

To Virtualization and beyond! PS::If you felt the answer as helpful, please mark it as helpful/answered so that it helps other users as well! Blog:: www.virtualtipsntricks.com
0 Kudos