VMware Cloud Community
Sanithsadananda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to create a vm with a vmdk file copied from other location , please find the error attached

Hi All,

I have copied a vmdk file from one location, and trying to make a new vm with that vmdk file. But when I power on after the creation of vm error is coming . Error in text and image shown below

Power On virtual machine:Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Ensure that the disk has been imported.

See the error stack for details on the cause of this problem.

Time: 3/31/2015 2:40:05 PM

Target: DBServer

vCenter Server: vcsa

Error Stack

An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM DBServer.

Failed to start the virtual machine.

Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.

Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/543d140b-feb33d52-7640-90b11c9796c3/vmdk/kapuatdb.vmdk'

Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7. Ensure that the disk has been imported.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This error message usually shows up if the .vmdk file(s) were copied from a hosted product like VMware Workstation, which uses a sparse file format that's not supported on an ESXi host. Instead of copying the .vmdk file, you may use VMware Converter, or - if preferred - you can convert the .vmdk using either vmware-vdiskmanager (prior to uploading) or vmkfstools (after uploading). I case of using vmkfstools you may need to load the mutliextent module (see e.g. "Clone or migration operations that involve non-VMFS virtual disks on ESXi fail with an error" at vSphere 5.1 Release Notes)

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This error message usually shows up if the .vmdk file(s) were copied from a hosted product like VMware Workstation, which uses a sparse file format that's not supported on an ESXi host. Instead of copying the .vmdk file, you may use VMware Converter, or - if preferred - you can convert the .vmdk using either vmware-vdiskmanager (prior to uploading) or vmkfstools (after uploading). I case of using vmkfstools you may need to load the mutliextent module (see e.g. "Clone or migration operations that involve non-VMFS virtual disks on ESXi fail with an error" at vSphere 5.1 Release Notes)

André

Sanithsadananda
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi AP,

I have fixed just before through this link anyway thanks for your comments.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102894...

0 Kudos