VMware Cloud Community
poonamv
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to create a linked clone on Vcenter version 6.0.0

Hi,

I am trying to create linked clone of the virtual machine, Using  vCenter UI i am able to create full clone of the virtual machine. But there is no option available on UI to cretae a linked clone  of the virtual machine.Please do let me know how to create a linked clone on vCenter as well as is there any way to create a linked clone on vSphere.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no UI for linked clones - they can be created by Horizon, PowerCLI, or API methods.

Here is an example: Cloning virtual machines in vSphere series – Part 3: Linked Clones | IT Gaiden

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are running anything like production workloads you should consider an upgrade - 6.0 is out of support and 6.5 only has 14 months remaining.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos