VMware Cloud Community
becky_j
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to convert a template residing in one esx host's local data store into a VM in another ESX host

Hi

I am a begginner to vCenter and trying to understand its various features.

I tried this and was surprised why it doesn work. Please help me in understanding this.

Versions

vCenter and ESXi 5.0

Setup:

a vCenter hosting two ESXi hosts that have the local datastores

Created a Windows 2003 VM named "Wk23x64" in Host1(10.31.216.20; host name: Rollsroyce) and converted it into a template in the Host1's local datastore.

Case 1:

Now i used the option 'Convert to Virtual Machine' on the template and when i choose the Host2(10.31.216.32,host name:Corolla) as destination for the VM i see an error as shown in attachment that reads:

"Unable to access the virtual machine configuration: Unable to access file [rollyroyce] W2k3x64/W2k3x64.vmtx

Unable to access file [rollyroyce] W2k3x64/W2k3x64.vmtx

Virtual disk 'Harddisk 1' is not accessible on the host: Unable to access file [rollyroyce] W2k3x64/W2k3x64.vmdk

Unable to access file [rollyroyce] W2k3x64/W2k3x64.vmdk"

Case 2: Secondly i tried the option 'Deploy Virtual Machine from this template' and took the Host2(10.31.216.32) as the destination and see that the VM deploys successfully.

Please anybody tell me why this works fine in the second case that the Host1's files are accessible for Host 2 and why not in the first case.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vMario156
Expert
Expert

Hi,

in case 1 the existing template is "converted" back to a virtual machine. Practical this means the existing vmtx file gets renamed to vmx again, but the files still stays on the local datastore of host 1, which means host 2 don´t have access to it.

The second case is another situation, because with the deploy option you are going to create a new VM (the original template files stay on hosts 1 datastore), which is put on the datastore of host 2.

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos
becky_j
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mario, got case1 clear.

So in Case 2, its like the files required for VM creation in host2 like vmtx, vmdk are created for the VM just by extracting the information from the template on host1, have i understood rightly. Or please explain how this happens in the backend.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
vMario156
Expert
Expert

Yes, it´s nearly like just a 1:1 copy of the template (just some small things like the MAC address gets changed).

You should know that a template and VM are nearly the same. The only difference is that the vmx file (VM) gets renamed to a vmtx file (template).

Regards,

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos