VMware Cloud Community
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to connect to vDP and getting "Could not connect to the requested VDP Appliance."

Hi All,

I have installed a new vCenter 5.1 update 3d in which deployed 5.8.4 vDP VMware appliance (VMware Data Protection). Which is compatible checked in compatiblity matrix. I was not getting option for plugin in vSphere web client, later on, tried with one version lower 5.8.3 and 5.1.11.3.

After raising case with VMware, I got know that vDP 5.8.0 VMware Compliance is more stable then other versions with vCenter 5.1 update 3d. Earlier there was aproblem with vDP plugin in web vSphere, it is came now. However I am unable to connect to vDP.

It showing teh following error. Reverese and forward lookup is proper and tried unregistering the vdp parameter from the mob, restrated web services, restrated vCenter. Have somebody experienced this issue in their environment?

Could not connect to the requested VDP Appliance. 

The SSO Server could not be found. Please make sure the SSO and DNS servers are available on the network and all settings are configured properly.

Would you like to be directed to the VDP Configuration utility to troubleshoot the issue?

Attaching the screenshot

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue was the DNS partially, vDP and vcenter's hostname and IP addresses was getting resolved through nslookup from vCenter server <cmd> (In my case vcenter and vdp is in the same vlan).

However vcenter's ip address was getting resolved from vDP ssh command line from nslookup command, but vcenter's hostname was not getting resolved. For testing, have added vcenter's ipaddress fullyqualifieddomainname hostname in host file in vDP.

After this it resolved the vcenter's ip address and hostname through vdp from nslookup command, which fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
virtualg_uk
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please first check the the time is accurate on the VDP appliance / ESXi hosts and the VC as this can cause this error.

Also check that DNS A and PTR records are set in DNS for all components and all the above VMs can resolve IPs to hostnames and vice versa.

Also please see: vSphere Data Protection (VDP) - SSO server could not be found - VMware vSphere Blog

Graham | User Moderator | https://virtualg.uk
0 Kudos
Raj117
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue was the DNS partially, vDP and vcenter's hostname and IP addresses was getting resolved through nslookup from vCenter server <cmd> (In my case vcenter and vdp is in the same vlan).

However vcenter's ip address was getting resolved from vDP ssh command line from nslookup command, but vcenter's hostname was not getting resolved. For testing, have added vcenter's ipaddress fullyqualifieddomainname hostname in host file in vDP.

After this it resolved the vcenter's ip address and hostname through vdp from nslookup command, which fixed the issue.

0 Kudos