VMware Cloud Community
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to connect to VCenter server

Hi,

I am getting the error "Vsphere client could not connect to Vcenter. An unknown connection error has occurred. (the request failed because of connection failure.(Unable to connect to remote server).

However, I am able to log in to the host where this VCenter server VM is located. But I am not able to login to the Vcenter server.

When I open the Vcenter server machine from the console, it just showing the blue screen and nothing else is showing up. even the options for restart are greyed out.

I am trying to connect to vcenter server from a different VM where i have installed the Vsphere client. And from this client I am trying to login to Vcenter server. Also, i am not able to take the remote desktop connection of Vcenter windows machine, it just keeps on showing connecting but fails to connect after few mins. So I thought of restarting the Vcenter server machine but couldn't able to restart as the option for restart is greyed out.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You may have to forcibly restart the vCenter VM from the ESXi host where it's running using CLI.

0 Kudos
MShahed
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you please share with me the proper procedure to restart the VMcenter server from the ESXi host using the CLI command?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Here the instruction is

VMware Knowledge Base

You can do this with vim-cmd commands or esxcli commands. Both methods should work.

0 Kudos