VMware Cloud Community
hrshtkpr
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to assign ipaddress to virtual machine from IP Pool

Hi,

I do not want to configure network details such as ip, DNS & gateway for each VM I create.

So, I am trying to use vApp IP Pool.

I have followed the document but I coant get it to work.

When I start my vm I do not see any ipaddress in summary page of the vm.

ifconfig also returns only 1 network interface with ip 127.0.0.1 .

This is what I have.

I have a DNS server (which also acts as gateway) running with statis ipaddress 192.168.56.101. This running outside the virtual environment.

I have an esxi host running with a static ipaddress (192.168.56.104). This is able to connect to DNS server, I tested the management network.

I have a datacenter with 1 standard switch.

There is only 1 pNIC.

I have VMkernel port and a VirualPort both connected to this pNIC. ( I know it is not a good practice, but this my test environment and I am still trying to find may way in vSphere).

I have a network profile that has ippool enabled and I have made sure that IPPoolrange does not have gateway ipaddress.

I have associated this n/w profile  with eh VirtualPort.

I am using this virtual port in the virtual machine and I have also enabled vApp for this vm.

After enabling  vapp I have Authoring set to "OVF Environment" and IPAllocation set to :Transient IP Pool

When I restart the vm it still does not get an ip.

It get the hostname in the summary screen because that I supplied manually during installation of Redhat 6

I  tried using DHCP and also DHCP (Address Only)   during OS installation, but could not get it to work with both.

I am attaching snapshot of all the necessary vcenter objects.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Harshit

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
hrshtkpr
Contributor
Contributor

Please help!!

0 Kudos