VMware Cloud Community
runnyyolk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to add serial port to VM using vCenter Web Client

I'm using VCSA 6.5.0u1 against esxi 6.5 hosts.

For existing VMs, I can see a serial port logging to file in Summary > VM Hardware. However, I'm not able to edit it nor remove the serial port.

When I Edit Settings on a VM or create a new VM and click Add New Device, I don't get options to add Serial or Parallel ports, only CD/DVD Drive, Hard Disk, RDM Disk, Existing Hard Disk, Network Adapter and SCSI Controller.

Using the plain esxi host client, I still have access to add/manipulate serial ports for VMs.

Is this a limitation of vCenter? How would you do this if you locked down the esxi hosts from direct access?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
runnyyolk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, so the answer turned out to be stupidly simple. I was using the HTML client instead of the full client. Apparently that's a limitation of the HTML client. :smileyangry:

I had no realized that and it's not documented anywhere as far as I can tell. However, all is well now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please check Supported serial ports and unsupported serial ports in docs. For reference: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.5/com.vmware.vsphere.vm_admin.doc/GUID-A779C84D-4324-4D3...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
runnyyolk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, so the answer turned out to be stupidly simple. I was using the HTML client instead of the full client. Apparently that's a limitation of the HTML client. :smileyangry:

I had no realized that and it's not documented anywhere as far as I can tell. However, all is well now.

0 Kudos