VMware Cloud Community
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to access vCenter using Firefox

Hey all, I'm no longer able to access my vCenter server using Firefox. When I try I get the following error:

AccessError.PNG

I've been looking around and most of what I find says to just click on the "Add Exception" button but there is no such button. I've tried adding the two downloadable certs from my vCenter server to the local computer using the instructions here, VMware Knowledge Base and here Manage Trusted Root Certificates | Microsoft Docs but still no joy. I'm even more confused because I've found several posts that say to use Firefox in order to correct many VMware access problems. So, does anyone know how I can fix this Firefox problem?

Thanks,

Joe B

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
6 Replies
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And my Firefox version is Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit)

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your cert expired?

0 Kudos
IT_pilot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks IT_pilot, that was the fix. I guess I was a little fixated on the computer side of things and not the browser.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
jobee1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good morning all,

Due to some unsuccessful experimentation I had to rebuild my computer. Now I'm back to not being able to access vCenter but the previous fix won't apply itself. Here's the error when logging in to vCenter:

FirefoxBad.PNG

In Firefox there's usually an icon I can click to allow access but not here. So when I go to add a security exception Firefox tells me the certificate is just fine:

FirefoxGood.PNG

At first glance one would think the error would lie with Firefox. Some of you may have noticed that I blacked out the domain name in two locations in the first image and it's not being included in the second one. I added the domain name in the Add Security Exception section and it's working now. I hope this helps others who overlooked the same thing I did.

Thanks,

Joe B

0 Kudos
TronAr
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Just for the sake of information to others, it seems vCenter does not give the cert chain when establishing HTTPS.

That in turn kills the possibility of using current Firefox when the CA is not known. Downloading the CA cert and installing it (either on browser or machine) solves the issue. (https://<vcenter>/certs/download.zip)

I guess not sending the cert chain is a bug of sorts, but who am I to say 🙂

0 Kudos