VMware Cloud Community
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unable to Upload ESXi image to VUM 6.5 (VCSA)

I deployed a brand new VCSA on version 6.5 recently. I updated the certificates to use my own certificate authority instead of the VMware self-signed certs.

When I try to use VUM to upgrade my ESXi hosts to 6.5 I'm unable to upload the iso through VUM.

When trying to upload the process starts and then fails with this screen and that's it.

VUM-1.png

I opened the request.log file from VUM on the VCSA and receive these "500" internal server errors.

VUM-500.png

I don't see any KB articles about this issue, but did find this post on reddit related to the same issue.vCSA 6.5 Update Manager Cannot Upload ISO : vmware

The article there suggests that the replaced Certificates could cause VUM to not be working properly. I found that I had issues with NSX connecting as well after I updated the certificates so I ran through this KB article to fix that issue: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21326...

It did not fix the VUM issue

I'm hoping to find out if this is a bug and if anyone has found a workaround for this issue. Moreover, if VMware will be doing anything to fix these certificate problems.

vmEck ‌‌eyounis‌‌mikefoley

http://www.theithollow.com
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It turns out that a full restart of the VCSA appliance fixed the issue.

Maybe try a reboot if you're faced with the same issue.

Working screenshot below:

Screenshot at Mar 07 20-13-29.png

vmEck

http://www.theithollow.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmEck
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hey Eric, I'm sharing this internally with some folks to see if we can get you an answer. Stay tuned and thanks for tagging us!

JoshuaCustance
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue with upload, however, we have not changed the default certificates on the appliance.

Also of note is i see a similar issue when trying to upload files to a VMFS datastore.  If i go to the HTML 5 client i am able to do so, so long as the file is not too big (< 4 gb).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

JoshuaCustance

The 4GB issue is a limitation with IE. Other browsers should work.

André

0 Kudos
TheITHollow
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Additional DETAIL:

If you go to the https://VCENTERFQDN:9087/vum-fileupload/login URL I get the following in a web browser which suggests an issue with java?

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /vum-fileupload/login. Reason:

Server Error

Caused by:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/vmware/updatemanager/fileupload/LoginWorker$LoginWorkerException at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2671) at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:3075) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:412) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler$Context.createInstance(ContextHandler.java:2479) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler$Context.createServlet(ServletContextHandler.java:1327) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.newInstance(ServletHolder.java:1220) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:612) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.getServlet(ServletHolder.java:496) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.ensureInstance(ServletHolder.java:788) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.prepare(ServletHolder.java:773) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:578) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143) at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:524) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:226) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1180) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:511) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1112) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:213) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:119) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:134) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:524) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:319) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:253) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:273) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:95) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection.onFillable(SslConnection.java:202) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:273) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:95) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.SelectChannelEndPoint$2.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:93) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.executeProduceConsume(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:303) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.produceConsume(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:148) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.run(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:136) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:671) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:589) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vmware.updatemanager.fileupload.LoginWorker$LoginWorkerException at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass(WebAppClassLoader.java:487) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass(WebAppClassLoader.java:428) ... 38 more 

Caused by:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.vmware.updatemanager.fileupload.LoginWorker$LoginWorkerException at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:381) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:424) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass(WebAppClassLoader.java:487) at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppClassLoader.loadClass(WebAppClassLoader.java:428) at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2671) at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:3075) at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:412) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler$Context.createInstance(ContextHandler.java:2479) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler$Context.createServlet(ServletContextHandler.java:1327) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.newInstance(ServletHolder.java:1220) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:612) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.getServlet(ServletHolder.java:496) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.ensureInstance(ServletHolder.java:788) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.prepare(ServletHolder.java:773) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:578) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143) at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:524) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:226) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1180) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:511) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1112) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:213) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:119) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:134) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:524) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:319) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:253) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:273) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:95) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ssl.SslConnection.onFillable(SslConnection.java:202) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:273) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:95) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.SelectChannelEndPoint$2.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:93) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.executeProduceConsume(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:303) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.produceConsume(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:148) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.run(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:136) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:671) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:589) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)