VMware Cloud Community
karthik_ramaraj
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to Install vCenter server 6.0 Update2

Hi All,

I've upgraded ESXi from 5.5 to 6.0 on HP DL 360e Gen8. This host is a new one and I'm using it for implementing Horizon 7. And I have created a new Virtual Machine for installing vCenter 6.0 Update2. This VM has Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit Datacenter, 8 GB RAM and 100 GB HDD. Given static IP, Joined to Domain, DNS is resolved, Windows firewall is OFF and Windows Updated.

I'm using a local PC ( Win 7 32 bit, not joined to domain) with vSphere client 6.0 to connect to host.

When I'm installing vCenter server, in the middle of the installation I'm getting an error "Unable to connect to vCenter Single Sign-On: Failed to connect to SSO;uri:https://Fully-Qualified-Domain-Name/sso-adminserver/sdk/vsphere.local" .

I have selected the following options while installing vCenter Server setup,

1. Embedded Deployment

2. System Name: Fully-Qualified-Domain-Name

3. Create a new vCenter Single Sign-On domain: vsphere.local

user name: administrator

4.Use Windows local system account ( I'm logged into Windows server using local administrator )

5.Use an embedded database (vPostgres)

6.Network settings and ports are by default ( I have not changed any port nos or the setup didn't ask to change the particular port no )

Note: There is also another vCenter server in the domain but is in different host.

Could you please help me to resolve this error.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
netdevel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have the same issue. Did you find what was the problem?

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
AmzSannegowda
Contributor
Contributor

Cause

This issue occurs because of the vCenter Server configuration. You see this issue if your vCenter Server uses one of these configurations: 

• Your system is configured with a Hosts file for mapping of hostnames to IP address:

vCenter Single Sign-On system pulls Domain Name Server (DNS) information from the guest operating system during the installation. If a Host's file is configured on the Windows system with the shortname rather than the fully qualified domain name (FQDN), this will result in the SSL certificates for vCenter Single Sign-On generating incorrectly. This in turn results in the vCenter Single Sign-On Lookup Service being configured with the FQDN of the system, while the SSL certificates are generated with the shortname of the system the Lookup Service becomes unresponsive.
  • If the system has been multihomed via multiple (v)NIC:

vCenter Single Sign-On system pulls DNS information from the guest operating system during the installation, if the order of the (v)NICs on the system is setup where the DNS information is incorrect or different than the true hostname of the system resulting in incorrect SSL certificates, either using the hostname or IP address assigned to the (v)NIC. The vCenter Single Sign-On Lookup Service is then configured with the correct FQDN of the system while the SSL certificates are generated with the incorrect FQDN or IP of the system, as a result the Lookup Service becomes unresponsive.

Resolution

This is a known issue affecting vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 and vSphere Web Client 5.5.

To work around this issue, perform one of these options depending on your environment's configuration:

• Update the Windows Host's file with the proper FQDN of the vCenter Server.
  • Update the order of the (v)NIC on vCenter Server for proper FQDN resolution.

To Update the Windows Host's file with the proper FQDN of the vCenter Server

1. Connect to the vCenter Server system via remote desktop or console.
  2. Navigate to this directory containing the Host's file:

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\

3. Open the hosts file using a plain text editor.
  4. Locate the entry for the the vCenter Server's hostname. Ensure that the hostname has been entered as the FQDN as well as the proper case as reported when running the hostname oripconfig /all commands via command prompt.

For example, use this mode:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    192.169.1.10 vCenterServer.domain.local

5. Uninstall that instance of vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 and clean up the %ProgramData% installation directory. For more information, see the Resolution section of Installing or upgrading vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 fails with the error: vCenter Single Sign-On Setu....
  6. Reinstall vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 to generate the SSL certificates using the proper FQDN. For more information, see Installing vCenter Single Sign-On 5.5 on a Microsoft Windows platform (2058239)

Please refer to below kb for more info:https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20629...

Thanks,

Amz

0 Kudos