VMware Cloud Community
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Un-Register PSC Failed Error 1

Getting an error when unregistering a PSC.

Our environment has 4 sites running Linked-Mode.  Each site has 3 guests.... 1 vCenter, 1 PSC and 1 SQL.  Sites 2, 3 and 4 partner back to the PSC at site 1.  We are shutting down site 2.

I'm following VMware KB 210736.  I stopped the PSC service at site 2, then  on that PSC ran cmsso-util to unregister the vCenter, which was successful.  Then I went to the PSC at site 4 and ran cmsso-util to unregister the PSC at site 2, but received an error.  A bit confusing..... displays error 1, but then shows Success.

Below is the cmsso-util output.  I believe I need to run vdcleavefed -h -u -w to force a rip-out of the machine account, but need someone to verify if that is correct.  If it is, where do I run vdcleavefed ?  From the PSC at site 4 or on the PSC at site 2 (the one being removed) ?  Thanks in advance for any help.

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\bin>cmsso-util unregister --node-pnid km-

001-psc01.minoltana.minolta.com --username administrator@vsphere.local --passwd

Admin01$

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python-modules\identity\vmkeystore.py:4:

RuntimeWarning: to-Python converter for struct client already registered; second

conversion method ignored.

import identity.vmafd as vmafd

D:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\python-modules\identity\vmkeystore.py:4:

RuntimeWarning: to-Python converter for class vmafd_exception already registered

; second conversion method ignored.

import identity.vmafd as vmafd

WARNING! This step is irreversible!

Are you sure you want to unregister host km-001-psc01.minoltana.minolta.com ? (Y

or N) Y

2018-01-31T21:51:05.712Z   Running command: ['D:\\Program Files\\VMware\\vCenter

Server\\vmafdd\\dir-cli.exe', 'service', 'list', '--login', 'administrator@vsph

ere.local']

2018-01-31T21:51:06.012Z   Done running command

2018-01-31T21:51:06.848Z   RC = 1

Stdout = vdcleavefd offline for server km-001-psc01.minoltana.minolta.com

Leave federation cleanup failed. Error[1] - Operations error

Stderr = password:

ERROR unregistering computer account.

Success

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Worked through the problem(s) with some help from VMware Support.  Found documentation on un-registering vCenter\PSC somewhat sparse and\or confusing.  Was following VMware KB 2106736.  Make sure to stop the PSC service before doing unregister vCenter.  The vCenter step is on the last page of the KB.... not sure why..  I guess I needed to read between the lines, which I didn't do.  The other item that caused an issue was having to re-point one of the 4 PSCs in Linked mode.  Finally in the end cmsso-util still threw an error....... Had to run the vdcleavefed command to force a rip out of the machine account.  All appears to be working well now. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JustyC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Worked through the problem(s) with some help from VMware Support.  Found documentation on un-registering vCenter\PSC somewhat sparse and\or confusing.  Was following VMware KB 2106736.  Make sure to stop the PSC service before doing unregister vCenter.  The vCenter step is on the last page of the KB.... not sure why..  I guess I needed to read between the lines, which I didn't do.  The other item that caused an issue was having to re-point one of the 4 PSCs in Linked mode.  Finally in the end cmsso-util still threw an error....... Had to run the vdcleavefed command to force a rip out of the machine account.  All appears to be working well now. 

0 Kudos