VMware Cloud Community
serverhack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ubuntu 20.04 Customization Profile Error

Hi,

I'm testing cutomization profile for Ubuntu 20.04 after upgrading vCenter to 6.7 U3g and ESXi to last critical patches.

The customization profile, executing perl commands, errors with the following error in /var/log/vmware-imc/toolsDeployPkg.log:

[...]

[Many errors removing lock '/tmp/.vmware-deploy.***** files]

[...]

INFO: Check if hostnamectl is available

[DEBUG]: Command: 'hostnamectl status 2>/tmp/guest.customization.stderr'

[DEBUG]: Result:

[DEBUG]: Exit Code: 256

[DEBUG]: Stderr: ^[[0;1;31mFailed to create bus connection: No such file or directory^[[0m

[...]

[   error] Customization command failed with stderr: '^[[0;1;31mFailed to create bus connection: No such file or directory^[[0m'.

[...]

I hace tried to apply the workarounds shown at VMware Knowledge Base​ with same results.

I have seen that customization tries to apply ubuntu 19.10 instance:

[...]

INFO: Customization instance Ubuntu1910Customization loaded.

[...]

If I try with Ubuntu 18.04 it works correctly.

Any clue on this? Is Ubuntu 20.04 still not working with customization in vCenter 6.7 U3g?

REgards,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
serverhack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have noticed that cloud-init is installed on Ubuntu 20.04 by default.

Once uninstalled cloud-init and removing the config files at /etc/cloud the customization has worked right,

It would be interesting that customization work for cloud-init, but the network interface is not connected at the time of booting the server, and the customization script fails.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
serverhack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have noticed that cloud-init is installed on Ubuntu 20.04 by default.

Once uninstalled cloud-init and removing the config files at /etc/cloud the customization has worked right,

It would be interesting that customization work for cloud-init, but the network interface is not connected at the time of booting the server, and the customization script fails.