VMware Cloud Community
UniCav
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 18.04/18.10/19.04 open-vm-tools screen resize broken

I've been running Ubuntu 18.04 on ESXi 6.7 for months. I open the host in VMRC and stretch the screen to a comfortable size.

Somewhere in the last few updates to 18.04, something broke open-vm-tools ability to resize the screen. It reverted back to an 800x600 size and nothing larger was available in the settings, which I'd never even had to look at previously. I checked for updates to open-vm-tools and found nothing, dug around a bit and found various threads. Following the advice to add "After=display-manager.service" to /lib/systemd/system/open-vm-tools.service. That allowed me to stretch it some, but it's still maxing out too small.

I then started looking at threads to add modes to xrandr, and added modes for 1440x900 and 1920x1080.  It seems to switch to them, but still not large as it should be.

Next I took a shot on upgrading to 18.10, where the problem still existed, and then to 19.04, again with the same problem. I added the modes again in 19.04, but after a reboot they are gone. I did find that the open-vm-tools.service file had lost the After line again so I added it back. Still exact same problem.

Has to be some new bug in open-vm-tools with latest kernels or modules?

0 Kudos
0 Replies