Here my config:

- 2 vCenter 5.0 U1 in linked mode

- 25 ESXi 5.0 U1 servers

- Update Manager installed on both vCenter VMs

- SRM 5.0 U1 on the vCenter servers

- SQL DBs installed locally on the vCenter servers

What I have done so far:

- I duplicate the vCenters VMs into a Lab with appropriate DCs

- Both vCenter servers can see each other in linked mode in the lab and I can login with vCenter client normally

- I isolated the first vCenter from linked mode

- I ran the 5.1 upgrade in that order:

* SSO installation locally (as first SSO node, waiting to add second node on the other vcenter for SSO HA)

* Installed vSphere web client and configured my AD settings (empty inventory already)

* Upgraded the vcenter inventory service

* Upgraded the vCenter server itself

* Upgraded the vCenter client

I`m stuck here because as there is empty inventory into Web client I can't setup appropriate permissions to login with vCenter client ...

So is it due to following :

- SRM installed on the vcenter servers ?

- I let the system account for services startup ?

- Any other good thoughts ?

Thanks for your help

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey J,

When you say you have configured the AD account, was that using the Web Client to the SSO Identity Sources page?

Can you attach a screenshot as to how the same is configured?

Also say you are using a domain account to log in to the Web Client. Are you logging in as username and password or domain\username and password?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is because you are logged in with admin@system-domain which is a super user for SSO and does not have access or privilige to the Inventory. Add an identity source and log in as a domain account and check if you are able to see the inventory

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.vsphere.security.doc/GUID-B23B1360-8838-4FF2-B074...

http://www.gabesvirtualworld.com/adding-ad-authentication-to-vmware-sso-5-1/

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
JThesin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your input, I configured the AD but not able to login with AD account, I even tried to configure the vCenter local SAM but it said as it`s a linked mode node it can`t add it as identity source (even if I isolate the vcenter from linked mode).

Which AD I should use ? Because I tried with my admin one with no luck !!

Thanks again

Regards

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hey J,

When you say you have configured the AD account, was that using the Web Client to the SSO Identity Sources page?

Can you attach a screenshot as to how the same is configured?

Also say you are using a domain account to log in to the Web Client. Are you logging in as username and password or domain\username and password?

0 Kudos
JThesin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I finaly was able to login, just puting my user name vs domain\username !!!

So of loss of time  ...

Not fan of the 5.1 installation wizard BTW

Thanks for your help

Regards

Julien

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No worries Smiley Happy

0 Kudos