VMware Cloud Community
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Troubleshhting mail issues

A VCSA 6.5 is configured tu use a SMTP host to send mail messages.

The settings look to be ok as messages are sent when alarms are triggered.

No mail is sent, however, when scheduled tasks complete (either successfully or not).

Is there any additional configuration to set?

How can I troubleshoot the mail sending process for scheduled tasks?

Regards

marius

3 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

Check network connectivity between vCenter and port 25 on the SMTP server

Check the logs on the SMTP server if the emails are being send.

Check on the VCSA via SSH sendmail logs with cat /var/log/messages | grep sendmail

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

Hello,

First troubleshoot step is to check the logs on the SMTP server, Verify that the mail server configuration allows email to be sent from vCenter Server. The ability to send mail may be restricted so that anonymous email is not allowed or that specific user accounts are required to send mail. If this is the case a rule must be created to allow the vCenter Server to send email.

Verify that email is not being blocked by software such as antivirus or anti-spam, which reside before your mail server.

Then you can check the network connectivity between vCenter and mail server on port 25 (depend on port used by mail server, the default is 25). Test using telnet command "Telnet MailServerFQDN Port(25)".

Else Check a logs called sendmail through SSH using cat /var/log/messages | grep sendmail.

Please consider marking this answer "CORRECT" or "Helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

@KakHassan

linkedin.com/in/hassanalkak

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
MariusRoma
Expert
Expert

Many thanks for the answers.

I will make the suggested checks.

In the meantime, let me underline that mail messages from the VCSA to the SMTP server (ant to the final destination) work fine for messages related to alerts.

What is different for messages generated by Scheduled tasks?

marius

0 Kudos