VMware Cloud Community
emcclure
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tools to automate updating of Windows templates

Hello,

I'm looking into some tools to use to update some of our templates.  My goal is to get it to be completely automated, to where it's just set and forget.  It'd be nice if there was an email sent notifying certain users that the task was complete, or maybe wasn't and we know which template has errors.  I've tried VCM in the past and hated it.  Tried working with VMware to get it going and there were just too many problems.  I've heard about SCCM and have connected it to my domain, but haven't had time yet to get a couple test clients setup.  I've seen a couple PowerShell/PowerCLI scripts when doing a google search, but I think even those had issues.  If anybody has ideas, or reliable things that work I'm interested.  Ideally I'd like to run whatever it is once a month, have it convert the template to a VM, power on, update until complete, power off and go back to a template.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'd look at using either PowerCLI or vRO. Possibly a combination of both. I did this years ago with just pure PowerShell/PowerCLI and it worked out pretty well.

0 Kudos