VMware Cloud Community
msl2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Tips on how to get started with VCenter 6.0 Soap API

Hi

Would anyone be able to give me any advice or point to to proper documentations on how to use VCenter 6.0 API. The documentations are quite convoluted and is quite hard to navigate. Cannot even get myself to authenticate.

Currently trying to use SOAP UI to test the API but unable to figure out how to sign in and use the services in vimService.

Any help help would be greatly appreciated.

-Marvis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
msl2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case this will help anyone. Found that creating an HTTP Listener through powershell and just connect to the vCenter server is a lot easier than working with SOAP if being applied to a web based project.

It's essentially creating your own pseudo REST Api. Here's a link to get anybody started if they encounter the problem.

Simple HTTP api for Executing PowerShell Scripts | PowerShell Team Blog

Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you seen the docs on VMware {code}?

0 Kudos
msl2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response. Yes I have but there were many documentations for different platforms in the SDK section and it was confusing to pick which one is required, so i went with the documentations for Java.

My project is php based and would like to make use of the API but after downloading the SDK zip, the documentations were all over the place and there wasn't really a reference on how to authenticate.

0 Kudos
msl2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I suppose it's a throw in the dark but does vCenter 6.0 support RESTFUL API?

0 Kudos
msl2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case this will help anyone. Found that creating an HTTP Listener through powershell and just connect to the vCenter server is a lot easier than working with SOAP if being applied to a web based project.

It's essentially creating your own pseudo REST Api. Here's a link to get anybody started if they encounter the problem.

Simple HTTP api for Executing PowerShell Scripts | PowerShell Team Blog

Cheers

0 Kudos