VMware Cloud Community
ianternet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Time taken to move datastore between luns

Hello there

I need to move a  466Gb VM between datastores using vCenter.

I don't have vStorage Motion, so will need to power off the VM first and then Migrate | Change Datastore.

However, so that I can schedule a time to do this, I need an idea of how long this is likely to take.

The VM is located on a SAN and I will move out of office hours, so the amount of I/O on other LUNS should be fairly minimal.

Can anyone give me a guesstimate on this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This mainly depends on the speed of the storage. I'd go ahead, create a dummy VM with e.g. 10% of the original size and migrate it. This way you should get a good idea of how long this may take.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This mainly depends on the speed of the storage. I'd go ahead, create a dummy VM with e.g. 10% of the original size and migrate it. This way you should get a good idea of how long this may take.

André

0 Kudos
ianternet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Presumably it is based on the allocated storage size of the VM and not the physical used storage space

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In case the VM is a thin provisioned, I'd suggest you create the dummy VM with a thick provisioned virtual disk, based on the currently allocated disk space.

André

ianternet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks.  That has helped.

I created one with 40Gb and moved that one over, and it took about 20 mins so gives me a good idea hopefully.

Cheers

Ian

0 Kudos