VMware Cloud Community
SiteRecoveryMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This virtual machine reset by vSphere HA.

Hi,

I have a VMware 5.0 environment in which HA is enabled with Low...

I have Exchange server VM which reset automatically, when I check the vm logs it says:

[This virtual machine reset by vSphere HA. Reason vmware tools heartbeatfailure, A screenshot is saved at storage]..

when I checked the image it was completely Black !!!....

the machine still perform the HA reset sometimes twice a day giving the same Warning....

in the details there's another note asking for CPU update which I see it has nothing to do with the main issue of HA resetting the Exchange VM...

However, I have attached images for the two warnings ..

Kindly, help me out & thanks in advance ....

0 Kudos
6 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I would say disable "VMware tools Monitoring" for this virtual machine.For now, so that it does not keep rebooting the VM.

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
SiteRecoveryMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks memaad for your reply,

Actually I am having this issue with a customer that needs this vm to be protected by HA so this solution won't work for them.

I also checked out VMware KB and found this same advice, is there any thing else I can do to solve the issue rather than hide it up ?

Thanks again

Regards

0 Kudos
MannyS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

memaad has a valid point - HA is still enabled for the VM. If a VM is on a HA enabled cluster, it's protected by HA. It will be restarted by HA if the host it's on, fails. Do they want to check for OS level failures too? If they dont (and not many clients do), then go ahead and disable VM Tools Monitoring.

Can you not deploy this code update? If you arent experiencing any issues without the code, dont apply it. And how are you deploying this update anyway? VMware Protect Essentials or something?

|| VCAP5 - DCA, VCP 5 and a slew of Microsoft certs. || If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful. Thank you.
0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

if the virtual machine goes to standby, the HA might think as vm is not responding. could you please check whether (standby ) sleep mode is  disabled in inside the OS or not. if it is enabled, u have to disable it or else u have to exclude vm monitoring for this server.

0 Kudos
SiteRecoveryMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys ..

I will try disabling the vmtools, but I have two issues ..

1- I found the only option is to delete them, I didn't find an option to disable the tools, can you help with this please ?

2- if I disable or uninstall the VMtools, the vmtools heartbeat will stop coming from the vm, will that result in Alarms or warnings ?

Thanks again.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

check the HA level of sensitivity and issue VM TTL (is there any delay). if it is high vm monitoring conclusion is more rapid and it will cause the reboot. you dont need to un install vmware tools.  disable vm monitoring steps as below:  *)Right-click the VMware HA cluster and choose Edit Settings.    (Note: This feature can also be enabled for a new cluster on the VMware HA page of the New Cluster wizard.)  **) In the Cluster Settings dialog box, select VMware HA in the left column.    ***)Deselect Enable virtual machine monitoring.    ****) Click OK.(

0 Kudos