VMware Cloud Community
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Template to deploy VM

Hi,

We have a rquirement to deploy VM's with Page on its dedicated volume. I have amended template and moved PageFile to P:\ drive and removed Paging on C:\ Drive. Convert VM to template and deploy using Customization wizard.

Once VM is deployed, i do see below message upon logon

"Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified"

Convert Template back to VM and PafeFile is on P:\ drive where in new VM deployed through template lose PageFile configuration.

My Template VM is running Windows 2008 R2 standard on vSphere 5.1. Any suggestions how to achieve this??

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

So just checking

i) Is your pagefile drive properly formatted and displaying P:?

ii) If so, is the drive size large enough to accomodate the pagefile?

iii) if so, if you set the pagefile to be the next available drive letter (eg d:) does it work?

Many tx

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
hafeezpashamoha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

to answer:

i) Is your pagefile drive properly formatted and displaying P:?

Yes, P:\ drive is NTFS formatted and shows healthy on source VM which is now a template.

ii) If so, is the drive size large enough to accomodate the pagefile?

Yes, PageFile is mere 4 GB and P:\ drive is 10 GB.

iii) if so, if you set the pagefile to be the next available drive letter (eg d:) does it work?

Strange though. I had named my volume as P:\ on source VM (now a template). When deployed VM through template, it renamed volume as D:\. I do see pagefile.sys on both my C:| and D:| drive.

See attached screenshots.

0 Kudos