VMware Cloud Community
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris 10 VM - can't move mouse pointer

vCenter 6.5  I created a virtual machine for Other - Oracle Solaris 10 (64 bit)  In the Solaris GUI in the web console, the mouse pointer doesn't move.  It doesn't appear to be capturing the host mouse.  How do I get the mouse working?  Or be able to pass keyboard shortcuts through the web console to the GUI to get a terminal open?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Never used Solaris, so I don't have any thoughts on how to navigate using only keyboard in Solaris. Neither have I used vCentre.

But coming from Fusion/Workstation, my only thought would be to use Ctrl-G, and Ctrl-Alt to toggle between VM and host (console). I would think it would be the same with vCentre console; Ctrl-G to get to the VM; and from there attempt to install the VMware Tools and hopefully mouse gets working after VMware tools get installed.

0 Kudos
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor

I have vmware-tools installed.  vmtoolsd is running.  And I still have no mouse.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Ok, I take it as a problem similar to mouse pointer disappears in the VM when the VM gets focus. What I'd do in this scenario is move the mouse pointer from the host where I want it to be on the VM, and then press Ctrl+G and in effect forcing the VM to acknowledge where the mouse pointer should be from the outside.

Does the Solaris VM in this case respond to such "trick"?

Is your vCentre running on Windows 10 with display scaling? Display scaling can also cause mouse pointers to misbehave such as not moving where you want it to be or having to click an icon a few pixels outside it.

0 Kudos
sysjno
Contributor
Contributor

The mouse pointer just sits in the middle of the console.  Ctrl-G does nothing.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Have a look at the comments here

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1310881

I doubt you are any of the two commenters there otherwise you would have done something along those lines. But it appears it has something to do with a USB tablet configuration for with Solaris 10 VM that prevents the mouse from working.

0 Kudos