VMware Cloud Community
New_User_999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshots on datastore

I am hitting the following issue on one of my VMs.

When I browse directly into the datastore, I can see leftover snapshots, but they are not appearing in snapshot manager. Consolidation completes but makes no difference. Any idea on how to remove them?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the hard disk for the virtual machine when viewed through edit settings is running on a snapshot dish, vmname-00000x.vmdk then the virtual machine is still running on a snapshot. Otherwise it might be a leftover file.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If a snapshot consolidation fails, the snapshot is removed from the Snapshot Manager (only what's displayed), but still exists in the datastore.

In very rare cases snapshot files are not deleted. Which .vmdk file name shows up in the VM's HDD settings?

Please post a screenshot of the Datastore which shows all files, including sizes and time stamps. In addition to this please attach the VM's latest vmware.log as well as its configuration (.vmx) file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
SavkoorSuhas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If the hard disk for the virtual machine when viewed through edit settings is running on a snapshot dish, vmname-00000x.vmdk then the virtual machine is still running on a snapshot. Otherwise it might be a leftover file.

Suhas

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

Don't Backup. Go Forward!
Rubrik

0 Kudos
New_User_999
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't have access to the vcenter at the moment, but the vmdk file is not pointing to these snapshot files, so they do appear to be leftover delta files that you are describing.

0 Kudos
JinuV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Below kb will help you to commit the snapshot,which is not showing on snap manager

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100231...

If you feel this kb was helpful,please make the as correct answer.

0 Kudos