VMware Cloud Community
MAliff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Snapshot

Hi,

I have some question would like to check with vmware communities regarding snapshot.

Recently one of client doing patching activity, they do snapshot for all vm, the thing is there is VM VSA-0 and VSA-1 as virtual storage, for that vm they untick memory option when taking snapshot, now we need to clear all snapshot in the farm, for other vm shouldnt be an issue, just doubt on VSA, should i bring down VSA cluster first before consolidate? As i read on another disccustion when untick memory option when taking snapshot it a crash consistent.

Appreaciate any input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming that the patches were successful, and all you want to do is to delete the snapshots (i.e not revert to a previous version), the memory snapshot is not relevant. It's only important if you want to revert to a VM's snapshot, for which you took a snapshot in powered on state.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming that the patches were successful, and all you want to do is to delete the snapshots (i.e not revert to a previous version), the memory snapshot is not relevant. It's only important if you want to revert to a VM's snapshot, for which you took a snapshot in powered on state.

André

0 Kudos
MAliff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your input, from i understand, if i want revert to only the vm will in powerdown state, for my task, just need to delete snapshot, patching all ok for spectre and meltdown.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... if i want revert to only the vm will in powerdown state, ...

Sorry, but I'm not sure what exactly you are asking for. Anyway, as mentioned before, if you don't revert, but just "Delete" the snapshots - i.e. keeping the current state - you don't have to worry about whether the snapshot was created with, or without memory.

André

0 Kudos